The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Finding your Wings through nature - Bauhinia ? seeds

Today the tree that captured me in it's beauty on a walk with Milly with it's flower and inspired me to research it's possible medicine spoke to me to collect and spread some seed.

I believe it's a Bauhinia, not 100% certain on ID but if it is, the Kachanar Tree is one of the most important herbs in Ayurvedic medicine system. In modern studies and scientific knowledge on the biological/medicinal properties demonstrate that they have anti-bacterial, anti-helmintic, anti-arthritic, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic, immunomodulatory, hepatoprotective, anti-oxidant, trypsin inhibitor and anti-carcinogenic activity.

It's a beautiful tree and flowers anyway, if someone (keen for someone keen, didn't get many seeds) wants some free seeds to try growing, let me know. While I'm in seed send out mode...

bauhinia.thumb.jpg.234d8d9add96bee506393233d389731c.jpgIMG_20180216_083219.thumb.jpg.56e48caf6df9bc3e459d79d422f889f2.jpg

bauhinia.thumb.jpg.234d8d9add96bee506393233d389731c.jpg

IMG_20180216_083219.thumb.jpg.56e48caf6df9bc3e459d79d422f889f2.jpg

bauhinia.thumb.jpg.234d8d9add96bee506393233d389731c.jpg

IMG_20180216_083219.thumb.jpg.56e48caf6df9bc3e459d79d422f889f2.jpg

• Like 3

Photos certainly look like Bauhina. There's lots of different species from short ground covers, to the larger orchid trees. As well as the above medical uses and obviously beautiful flowers, they are also great legumes, allowing you to fix nitrogen in many different niches in your garden. 

• Like 2

There hasn't been rapid interest so I'm going to try and germinate some of these for people, keen to have them growing.

Any chance of a tree piccie at some stage peeps? I'll google it up though outta interest.

Edited by waterboy 2.0

I'll grab a picture next time I walk past it, not as spectacular when it's not in flower

• Like 1

Have you seen this tree in flower Alchemical? I'm wondering what colour it is.  I paid a lot of money for a pink flowering form only to find it was a white flower . I went back to the nursery and complained and all they offered me was another tree at a cheaper price, so I bought it. A few months later, it flowered, it was white also. Lol. The nursery had closed down and so I couldn't go back and complain again. I've bought some seeds from eBay and recently germinated a climbing version with pink/purple flowers *fingers crossed. 

Bauhinia are nice looking plants, the leaf shape is neat and the flowers are very orchid like . :) 

Thanks for sharing Alchemica . Great info . 

It's white with yellow, a close up of the flower is in the first post :) Hope you get the desired one this time!

4 minutes ago, Alchemica said:

It's white with yellow, a close up of the flower is in the first post :) 

Aw gawd, I did look at that photo when you first posted it, but I forgot. What did you say was good for elziemers again?! Lol. :P

• Like 1

@Alchemica
 Thanks mate and appreciated, mostly the images I came across focused on the flower display, which are impressive.

The foliage is appealing to my eye