The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
delshanon

Beginner grow suggestions.

Hey,
I wanted to see if I could ask you guys for some suggestions of plants I could start growing towards the end of February in Victoria.
For so long I thought I didn't have it in me to look after anything (including myself :P). Now I realise I do and I love it.
Something relatively easy for a beginner preferably, open to challenges.

Something ornamental, other uses (medical, edible, entheogen) a bonus but not compulsory.

Something pretty or something something bold and robust (a plant I can move inside when it gets big enough).

Hopefully that's enough information for you guys, regardless, throw me some suggestions :)
Appreciated,
Del.

• Like 1

Why not grab an acacia from the SAB shop? Maidenii, baileyana, and complanata are all hardy and robust, and flower nicely after a while. 

• Like 2

Actually I've started trying to germinate some acacia acuminata seeds as we speak.

I'll look at the ones you suggested above.

Thanks for your prompt response!

Edited by delshanon

How about a brugmansia?

They are fairly easy to grow in vic and are simple to propogate. That way you can make future trades with fellow sabers and expand your garden :-)

Del, the acacia varieties were just picked based on a few I've grown, nothing really specific about those particular ones as ones to start off with. Acuminata is a good choice. Did you score and treat the seeds in heated water? If you don't have luck with the ones you've sown have a look at the search engine for germination techniques. 

Deadstar's suggestion is an excellent one for a non-native. Brugs are fun to grow, easy as, and have beautiful flowers. 

thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll propagate some brugmansia.

Already growing lemon balm.

hashslingr i did score and do water treatment. wish me luck :)

• Like 1

Khat or Catha edulis is a fairly easy and pretty looking plant.