The Corroboree

Got any good camping pics or info or ideas? Lets all have a squiz then :):):)

I'll go first. This is my 17 year old stainless billy, still good as new. -camping on our bush block.

d8lguogv.png

d8lguoj.png

d8lguogv.png

d8lguoj.png

d8lguogv.png

d8lguoj.png

• Like 2

I don't take photos of my camping, only my hunting, but having done a lot of hiking which requires us to take everything with us - I can highly recommend Jetboil gas stoves! Incredibly efficient, lightweight and compact. Paired with a kit like this, you're laughing

https://www.moroka30.com.au/stoves-c-25/jetboil-zip-cooking-system-p-258.html?zenid=kuloi1of5gk5t7ffs3lqjf3vc1

https://www.moroka30.com.au/cookware-c-9/cs100-p-18.html?zenid=kuloi1of5gk5t7ffs3lqjf3vc1

Be interested to see what people sleep in on their camping trips :) 

• Like 3

Went from tents, to Bivvy bag and swag, to hammock. A hammock gives a consistency in sleeping that nothing else can.... Regardless of terrain.

Even in flatland I can knock up a makeshift turtle dog stand to hang . With a bit of rock-climbing gear I carry in kit I can hang underground or above the tree line if the rock accommodates.

My current setup, got it up to have a spot for respite from the heat at home currently.

IMG_20180112_103235-2656x1494.jpg

The tarp can be setup for storm/snow, and use an underquilt when cooler (think sleeping bag under/around the hammock)

I've modded my gear with things like whoopie slings, and some import gear to cut weight and make it more flexible in setup options.

Trangia is all I use for cooking , if not on coals. Can get a variety of fuels anywhere to run it.

Edited by waterboy 2.0
Off tap spellchecker and more shit
  • Like 6

Team Hammock! It's great being able to just stop hiking anywhere (anywhere with trees, at least) you like & set up camp - no need to find level ground with a clearing big enough for a tent or swag. Rocky ground, wet/flooded ground, steep slopes, all good. I've hammocked in swamps, hanging over creeks, on cliffsides, and in canyons during flashfloods, and if you make a few adjustments (eg. hang your pack & boots off the ground during flood times, and remember to climb out the uphill side of the cliff-hammock) you can get some pretty amazing sleeping spots. I've seen people string theirs up high up in tree canopies - that would be awesome to try sometime, esp somewhere like a rainforest with lots of epiphytes & wildlife at that level. You can also purposely hang them loose so they dip down in the middle & work as a sling chair, makes a nice spot to sit & read on hot days.

The one I've been using for years is just basic - similar to WB's, you can pick them up for $30-40. The mozzie net is great, and if I don't need it during the day I can flip the hammock over (so the net is underneath) & lay on the clear side. I also have a netless one (they're $13 on ebay) out at my cabin just for day-lounging or emergency guest bed. And I recently bought one of this style where the net stays up on its own - haven't taken it out for a spin yet, but looking forward to it.

G4Free-Camping-Hammock-1a.jpg

They're not ideal in really cold weather, and they can be uncomfortable if you hang them badly (eg. tilted, or too loose so it sags in the middle, or tied so that water runs down the ropes into your bedding) or have to share one with other people or all your gear (eg. because of flashfloods or tent failures) - though we have slept 2-3 people per hammock (small people, that is - combined weights <150kg) in emergencies, they do stretch out pretty wide. But once you get the hang of them, they're so comfortable. It's really the best thing: there's nothing like looking up at the stars, being rocked gently to sleep by the breeze, then waking up to an amazing view from the edge of the cliff where you're suspended.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:04 AM, waterboy 2.0 said:

Trangia is all I use for cooking , if not on coals. Can get a variety of fuels anywhere to run it.

@waterboy 2.0 I've been looking at these because the wastefulness of those single-use butane/propane canisters drives me nuts. I wasn't sure how efficient they were, but the idea of being able to just burn metho is pretty appealing. What other fuels do you use in yours?

I also like that the basic design is so simple & robust you can just DIY out of old cans & stuff (eg. DIY adjustable alcohol stove ), it appeals to the cheapskate & apocalypse-prepper in me.

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Anodyne said:

the idea of being able to just burn metho is pretty appealing.

I've never used a metho stove as, thanks to Mastotermes, dead wood is easy to find around here. Sounds like a great way to use all the metho by product from the still.

• Like 2

I use my Trangia quite a bit too. Not sure how common this is but someone showed me how they add a few drops of water to the metho to temper the flame. Which is what I do every time I use it now. Makes it even better for cooking IMO.

• Like 1

5 to 10% water reduces the sooting up of the cookware when burning metho. Take straight metho , add a bit of water to the burner.... Not the fuel stash....

Metho is the prime fuel Anno, it's cheap and efficient. Isopropyl( only high % for cold conditions) , methanol,zippo fuel( naptha), and a similar mix used In drip torches of diesel /petrol.... (not straight petrol, cause it goes woompth and boom). There's more, I've burned all sorts of shit... Lol:wink:Gotta consider the burn products though, and anything beyond metho is an alternative emergency fuel IMO.

The base burner excels at metho use, and they've made a multifuel burner apparently that uses alternate fuels more efficiently....havent seen or used one, be great for a skirmish into undeveloped worlds or apocalypse :wink:

There's also a gas adapter, but gas ain't an option as far as I am concerned,but could kit it for flexibility.

I carry a full kit, and another burner. I often have both on the go at once. I've tried all sorts of stoves over the years, and the Trangia wins for me.

There's an art to cold weather hammocks, and convection is the enemy. There's a few methods and tricks.

Hammock designs don't change much, but the materials do, and they make differences to weight, durability, waterproofing and breathability. Same for tarps, and then can consider the cut/shape ( lol.. I have a few...)

I recommend a double skin, so you can slip a sleeping mat, or even a space blanket under you,and underquilt if going hard-core cold. A tarp, closed down also reduces the convection losses.

Get a long one, short ones are good for lounging, but for good sleep a longer one allows for diagonally sleeping, and that's flatter :)

Dyneema whoopee slings are great, can adjust the hammock whilst hanging with ease and millimeter adjustments if required.

Edit.... Forgot high proof spirits

The colder it is the less water you can Shandy the metho with

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 3

Any tips for how I'd make a decent hammock out of a length of shade-cloth? I actually bought a piece (sceondhand) especially for a hammock but haven't made it yet.

Here's another little set-up I sometimes use for a quick brekky. It's a metho burner with a small cast-iron stand to hold the billy up. I sit it inside a saucepan to keep the wind out and that's all up on a stone paver.

I carry it all inside a crate which also doubles as a tiny table, which is a good height when sitting on a camp chair. Quite basic but it's more a proof of concept than anything else. It certainly does work well and cost next to nothing considering everything except the billy was secondhand.

I rarely do survival-type camping/ hiking anymore, the only place I'd ever need that is in PNG where there is always a hut to sleep in anyway, so I don't really need to carry anything when I'm up there.

rtharthar.thumb.jpg.b17f242710e34c2db8b83027bb6b17f7.jpg

rtharthar.jpg

rtharthar.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

Hey @Halcyon Daze

Check this out for general ideas:

https://theultimatehang.com/2013/10/29/make-hammock-3-minutes/

That sites full of info, and the dude has a book well worth a look and I recommend to interested folk.

That'll give you your ends, make it minimum 11 feet long:wink:. There's a heap of shadecloth out there of a wide range of quality and strength so use a bit of due care on if it will hold ya.

I usually set it at sit height, feet touch the ground. Easier to swing out, and get up my sorry arse.. Lol... But it's like a chair, couch and bed in one.

Welcome to The Church of Hang:lol:

Edited by waterboy 2.0
Fckn phones
  • Like 1

for that quick solution to an old age problem whilst camping under the stars -

forgot to bring the nose rapeh for a hit of snuff....well  fear no mear my dear -it's like how cable ties can fix it for a multitude of problems,

well how about a jumbo straw for snuff, cut to fit yor own snozz

jumbo straw manipulation.jpgrapeh adaption pipe the rap.jpg

jumbo straw manipulation.jpg

rapeh adaption pipe the rap.jpg

jumbo straw manipulation.jpg

rapeh adaption pipe the rap.jpg

• Like 4