The Corroboree
squidgygoanna

Cinnamomum Camphora (Camphor Laurel)

Does anyone have seeds/cuttings of this tree? I know it's considered invasive in parts of Aus, but I can't find any information regarding Camphor Laurel in Victoria

Just come visit NSW or Qld mate, you can probably get people to pay you to take them away.

I think that they weren't on Vic's noxious weeds list only because the seeds prefer warm & wet to germinate, and the young plants are frost tender. So it was thought that they wouldn't spread in the colder drier climate of Vic. However they've managed to spread to other frosty areas like the Dorrigo plateau, so the species is either adapting or was even tougher than we realised. Either way frost no longer seems like a reliable contraceptive for camphor laurels - I sure as hell wouldn't bet my ecosystem on it. I notice that Agriculture Victoria still mentions it on their invasive species list, because even though it's not weedy there yet, there doesn't seem to be any reason why it couldn't if given the chance - on their "potential distribution" map covers half the state!

And although most of the wild stuff in NSW & Qld is thought to be the one variant ("camphor" chemotype), there are a few different ones which all have slightly different genetics, which may be another reason not to bet on the better-known characteristics - a less common weedy variant in these states ("cineole" chemotype) has been reported to tolerate drier climates for germination, for instance - and there are several other chemotypes as well. This may also be relevant if you wanted this plant for particular compounds or properties - the aromatics vary between the different chemotypes.

If they escape into the wild, they shade out other plants & release allelopathic compounds which inhibit the germination & growth of other plants. They seed prolifically & the birds spread them everywhere. They also sucker like mad, so if you try to get rid of them simply by cutting them down you'll end up with a grove instead of just one tree. The leaves & berries are toxic to some animals, and may be the reason for decreased fish populations in waterways surrounded by camphor laurels - they often line creeks & riverbanks, making removal especially tricky without eroding the banks.

Whatever you want this species for, it's not worth it.

• Like 2

camphor forests here, where its native, tend not to be stunted much by their chemicals.  but i would certainly warn against because they do seed young and they seed heavily, and as above mentions birds spread them far and wide.  but the species itself doesnt really smother in the sense that if ti grows out other plants are easy to grow and the forest is monospecific, if thats a word.

if Aus has a problem with it, make oil and sell it.  or just tell the Chinese community its there and it will be gone soon enough.  we use the shit out of the stuff here!

• Like 2