The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
curaezipirid

Brisbane post EGA APS chapter start

Hi,

I am keen to know whether the community in Brisbane involved with EGA want a Brisbane chapter of the Australian Psychedelic Society to start here.

I'd be prepared to convene a few initial meetings if anybody else wants.

Is there are reason for having a "psychedelic society"?

My thoughts are yes if anybody is in need of advocacy, or feeling a need to communicate with other folks who want to advocate for the legal healthcare oriented use of psychedelics.

I missed the Australian Psychedelic Society Inaugural General Meeting last Wednesday, which happened in Melbourne at 3CR, and had online access I didn't know about until today.

And I guess that since I know at least a few men who have used psychedelics who don't have a friendly network, it is worth finding out if 4ZZZ want to be involved.

If anybody wants to converse with me in private try my e-mail [email protected]

And since I think in public should be OK, (so long as all safety concerns are met), there is also this thread.

I'd prefer to use this thread than the Australian Psychedelic Society - Brisbane Facebook group, but as that exists as well, anybody interested might want to connect there as well.

I mean, I know it will be all the boring stuff, but sometimes it is going to be the boring stuff which keeps our set and setting safe and sound.

My own interest is in enabling legitimate and overt (as in not illegal), use of psychedelics as interrupters of addiction.  I have experience using homeopathy to interrupt addiction, and believe homeopathy's efficacy is improved via psychedelics, (and homeopathy can improve psychedelics efficacy as well).

There is a document I found today in the Global Psychedelic Society/Network website, of basic guidelines for starting a Psychedelic Society group.  Produced I think by somebody in APS in Melbourne.  I tried to attach it here but it didn't transfer, so I will cut and paste it if anybody else wants it here.

I have no idea why my own identity seems to be coming out as a sometimes user of one psychedelic or another, (actually not nearly as much as many of you will have used), but it seems to be something which is happening outside of my own capacity to be in control of my outcomes, so I am just rolling with this for as long as it lasts.

• Like 2

Anybody want to meet face to face, at least two of us will be, (me and somebody who responded in the "Australian Psychedelic Society - Brisbane" Facebook page), 11am Sunday 28th January 2018, Mt Coo-tha lookout, (catch the 471 bus from Adelaide Street if you need), lets talk face to face about starting a Brisbane Chapter of the Australian Psychedelic Society.

I can't really think of much to say except "this will be boring", but at least boring lets itself be open to . . .

Hi curaezipirid,

Fantastic to feel your enthusiasm  toward this!  This is exactly what the APS is all about and the formation of a Gold/Coast Brisbane chapter has been simmering for a while just waiting for someone to take the lead. I am central to the running of the Sydney chapter and anything I can help with please let me know.

The APS has now established formal guidelines for setting up and seeding APS chapters, establishing committees and their requirements as well as the various communication channels used. I think the first thing to do would be contact one of the APS crew through the website: 

http://www.psychedelicsociety.com.au/contacts/

There seems to be a decent size community up there and all you really need to do is put some cohesive structure around that and it will grow organically from there. Small meet-ups are a great way to start, particularly if there is only a small expression of interest via things like the Facebook page. We started off the Sydney chapter by hosting a film-screening of 'Dying To Know: Leary & Ram Dass' which had just been released and this was a great way to get everyone in the same place, announce the presence of the APS and introduce our aims and objectives.You might find that lots of people know each other already from ceremonies and other events like EGA as well as there being many individuals with varying degrees of interest in psychedelics who may feel isolated or have simply been able to find connection to other like-minded people which is a critical part of integrating any psychedelic experience or ongoing work. 

Let me know how it progresses and thank you for stepping up to do this :)

cheers,

Flux  

• Like 1