The Corroboree
Dicko

Growing/sowing Brachystachis

I got some brachy seed, im wondering what the best way to grow it would be. 

I could sow directly and hope for the best, or ive got a couple seedling plug trays that I could put a few seeds in each plug then transplant to my patch once developed a bit? 

Do the plants put out multiple 'stalks'? As in would each plug grow into a clump of grass? Or would all the seeds grown in close proximity form the clump?

Any help apreciated. Cheers

• Like 1

You can plant those directly, they sprout easily.

P. brachy doesn't spread through rhizomes, it will only make one stalk per seed, but it's much thicker than P. aquatica or arundinacea. It can be propagated by cuttings though.

• Like 1

One stalk per seed ay? Hope ive got enough seed for a decent patch lol. How do ya go about propagating cuttings of brachy?

• Like 1

I've never taken cuttings from mines so far but I believe you could just snip the top and root it in a glass of water. Best way would probably be an aeroponic cloner imo.

• Like 1

How would that work though if theres only one growing tip? I dont get grasses lol

• Like 1

That's a goddamn good question because I topped some of mine and they seem to be dying. Not sure if it's because of them being brought inside or because of the topping. I'm still assuming they can sprout "branches" from the base of the leaves.

• Like 1

Heheheh let me know if they throw any new shoots :)