The Corroboree
MeanGreen

Triacontanol effects on cacti?

Hey, so I was wondering if any of you guys tried using triacontanol (or even just alfalfa meal) on your cacti, and if so what positive or negative effects did you notice it's had?

I found triacontanol to be quite effective on everyone's favourite plant to increase growth and yield, so I'm thinking of doing an experiment on some trichos this spring.

• Like 5

Sounds interesting, let us know how it goes. I've seen clips on youtube where their making this out of alfalfa hay and even brassica leaves.

• Like 1

I'm all for giving my cacti a meal or two, but mine generally get blood meal, bone meal, and sometimes fish... Guess my cacti are carnivores. Definitely not opposed to upping their herb intake. 

Edited by Inyan
  • Like 1

I've always grown alfalfa, crimson clover and yellow mustard as a cover crop for my cannabis plants in soil, I mow the cover crop when it gets out of control and let them compost on top of the soil. The clover fixates nitrogen from the atmosphere and then releases it when composting, the alfalfa gives triacontanol in small amounts and the mustard helps prevent diseases and acts as the frontline for bug attacks.

But for a couple rounds now I've been using a "booster" product in hydro, which contains tria and it definitely seems to make a difference. I found this side by side timelapse for example, it's even more noticeable on bigger, flowering plants. 

Curious to see what this product would do on trichos.

It basically speeds up photosynthesis. Here's a description of its effects:

Triacontanol (TRIA) is a natural plant growth regulator found in epicuticular waxes. It is used to enhance the crop production in millions of hectares, particularly in Asia. Quite a number of researchers have reported the TRIA-mediated improvement in growth, yield, photosynthesis, protein synthesis, uptake of water and nutrients, nitrogen-fixation, enzymes activities and contents of free amino acids, reducing sugars, soluble protein, and active constituents of essential oil in various crops. Expectedly, TRIA enhances the physiological efficiency of the cells and, thus, exploits the genetic potential of plant to a large extent. In fact, TRIA increased free amino acids, reducing sugars, and soluble protein of rice (Oryza sativa L.) and maize (Zea mays L.) within 5 min. TRIA elicited the appearance of L(+)-adenosine within 1 min in the roots of plants

• Like 1

"Furthermore, 46% more flowers, a 1.5-fold increase in bract weight, increased longevity, and 40% less leaf abscission were recorded following 2.5 mg/L TRIA treatment."https://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2013/308651/

46% more flowers for those wanting to hybridize... well you can't beat that.

• Like 1