The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Sallubrious

Amazon Australia

i buy books from amazon al the time. if i can get them sent from oz rather than the US then i'm all for it. the only reason i dont shop from the .au amazon is because they don't have what i want.

They'll pick our bones after they discount kill the competition.

• Like 3

They were supposed to be doing a "soft launch" last week, whatever a fucking soft launch is - half arsed to iron out the bugs I presume, but that didn't happen and then they were planning to go balls and all last Friday. I didn't sit there all day waiting for it but I did drop in a few times both midweek and then on the (fake) black Friday but I didn't see anything other than the ebooks and shit they've had for ages. Now (Tuesday) it still looks the same.

I've been holding off buying shit for landfill day for my kids until these arse clowns get their shit organised but it seems like they couldn't organise a fucking chook raffle let alone a multi retail platform. Why make public statements about a launch and then not do it ? 

2 minutes ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

Without doubt, by the time they get established and few of the other multinationals move in there won't be much left to do in OZ to turn a legal profit.

I wouldn't shed any tears if woolworths, coles, big w or kmart went the way of bell bottom pants, those cunts have been screwing everyone with predatory marketing and pricing forever. Sure I'd love to buy Australian but we don't make anything substantial here anymore so it's almost a moot point.

Australia is gone, we can thank a long list of corrupt politicians for that, it was great while it lasted but now we're just pawns in the world game. Mallcolm turncoat is 100% dedicated to selling the pittance we have left (he's still pushing for the TPP) for a handful of magic beans, so enjoy it while it lasts.

And thanks to the major Australian political system (two parties preferred by idiots) for selling my kids' legacy.

• Like 5

Pretty much ^

And a few groups are now stating the real estate bull market is ending.

I could argue a few advantages Australia still has but....   The illusion of wealth will be on its way out i think.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DiscoStu said:

i buy books from amazon al the time. if i can get them sent from oz rather than the US then i'm all for it. the only reason i dont shop from the .au amazon is because they don't have what i want.

2 hours ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

Too right Waterboy. Support your local bookshops. A possible couple of weeks wait and slightly higher price is better than ruthless capitalism and shameless tax evasion. 

Edited by hashslingr
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, hashslingr said:

Too right Waterboy. Support your local bookshops. A possible couple of weeks wait and slightly higher price is better than ruthless capitalism and shameless tax evasion. 

I used to support my local bookshop but it's long gone. Some parts of rural Australia are really struggling on the retail scene & Amazon will probably finish a lot the struggling die hards off or "pick our bones" as @waterboy 2.0 said. To survive a lot of retailers will have to start selling through Amazon and be forced to pay their ransom - they take a large chunk of profits & depending on the item being sold it can cost up to 16% of the sale price.

It going to be hard for the smaller retailers to afford to pay the lease & pay Amazon's ransom/extortion rates at the same time. The older retailers will most likely just close down and disappear forever and anyone who does decide to keep trading will be forced to restructure to stay alive.

• Like 3