The Corroboree
matt1720

Plant info: betel nut, nunu, herb mixes and legal highs

Hi,
id like info on safe legal highs from herbal mixes to dryed herbs.
id also like trip reports, effect info and more.
For eg: is betel nut safe to consume, I herd that  8grams of betel nut is an LD.
so this would then be unsafe to smoke as a legal high>
http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/shop/pan_masala_red_betel_nut_fennel_sandalwood_pr_289.php

Things like this websites mixes should be good though may be weak an then pointless to buy like most legal highs.
http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/shop/herbal_blends_cp_145.php
Though id like to try nunu: http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/shop/nunu_pr_1266.php
so please list all websites of good safe legal highs. things like blue magic herbal incence are not safe and should be off the market. so should things like slapper, fuck that, thank you.

Edited by matt1720

Honestly, I have found dry betelnut to be underwhelming. The sensation is pleasant, but just requires too much to get a good effect. I've never tried it fresh, so I can't comment on that. Dry betelnut that you get from suppliers in Australia is very, very hard, and I find it's unchewable. I found that I could get some effect by grinding it up in a rotary coffee grinder and mixing it with a base (bicarb soda, or lime if you're game). However, sitting there with a mouth full of gritty powder for a mild, and very short-lived effect is not worth it for me. I would much prefer something like khat, which you can actually chew on easily. The euphoria from betelnut is very fleeting, and regardless of how much I have, I never feel like it's satisfied what it seems to promise. Khat, on the other hand, doesn't feel euphoric to me, but the stimulant effect is pleasant, and because there's no mild euphoria, I don't feel like I've been 'teased' in the same way that I do from betelnut. I'm not sure of the current laws on khat. Last time I looked into it, you could obtain a permit to import for personal consumption if it was culturally relevant to you. As far as I know, you can still legally grow it.

No idea about smoking betelnut; I didn't even know it was an option.

Another one to consider is nutmeg. There are questions about its safety, so I urge you to research it before trying it, but it has an effect that you could consider similar to betelnut, but with a strong stoning component. It's not very pleasant (taste-wise) to consume in large quantities, but the effect lasts a long time (maybe 24 hours or so from memory), so that's not really an issue. If you just want something that is legal and will cause a mild, but pleasant, change in consciousness, and are also okay with any potential risk, nutmeg is certainly an option.

I haven't tried the smoking mixtures you mention, so I can't comment on them.

Hi Matt, your in Qld so probably looking in to medical cannabis would be your best legal option. I've chewed a lot of betel nut but never smoked it, it gives you a bit of a buz but so does red bull. Water lillies are worth a go.

Betel nut is safe to consume in the short term but may lead to oral cancers long term.

Betelnut (aka Buai) is only enjoyable when fresh, and really should be combined with the pepper leaf/ fruit. I prefer it without lime powder, less kick but less "toxic" too and feels good for the stomach that way..

There is another species of betel palm that will grow in Australia. In PNG it goes by the name Kavivi (car-vee-vee) or wild buai. Iit's botanical name is Areca triandra. It is also known as 'spark buai' which translates to "strong betelnut' or 'intoxicting betelnut'. It'll make you 'spark' and also sweat. Most people don't like to 'spark' this much and almost no-one in PNG would ever pay money for kavivi as it is a much smaller and woodier fruit that is not as enjoyable to chew as the real thing.

Having said that, real 'chewers' (addicts) will often begrudgingly settle for kavivi from the back garden when there is no proper buai left to chew. It's enough to get their fix but not satisfying enough to be a substitute. A bit like drinking a hot VB from the back of the ute on a hot day. It'll give you a kick but you won't come back for seconds.

Here's the interesting thing, Our native pepper vine was once chewed by aboriginees to help numb a sore tooth, it tastes exactly like piper betel (betel pepper) and IMO it does make a decent substitute for the leaf.

So if you're keen get hold of the two and see what you reckon. I liked it and it makes a good treatment motion sickness like most stimulants seem to do.

If you added lime you'd prolly get a major headspin etc and might even get addicted, so you'd be better off without. I'm pretty sure it's the lime that rots the teeth and causes cancer too. Also the lime on it's own will burn the absolute FCUK out of your mouth, so be very careful using it.

• Like 1

thank you, what about a safe legal high like incense but safe for human consumption?

Edited by matt1720