The Corroboree
Gimli

B caapi trellis

Hi guys,

Could I get away with planting my newly rooted caapi cuttings under a lemon and/or frangipani tree as the trellis?

Both are around 5m tall and a 4-5m crown.

Thanks

• Like 1

Only problem I see with that is the caapi potentially strangling and killing the tree over time 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt1208 said:

Only problem I see with that is the caapi potentially strangling and killing the tree over time 

I have no problems with losing either tree to be honest.

If anything, I should grow one up the massive fucking jacaranda tree out the front. Sick of that dropping its purple flowers all over my driveway every year

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gimli said:

Don't know how they grow down your way. Here they would cover a 5m tree in a couple of years and shade it out.. Their pretty tough ya can cut them back, pull some of it down and use the stem. I cut every year or so, the trees don't die. I leave a metre or 2 at the base till it gets as thick as ya arm and use this for special projects. Fragipani's break easy though.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Gimli said:

If anything, I should grow one up the massive fucking jacaranda tree out the front. Sick of that dropping its purple flowers all over my driveway every year

Yeah kill the fucken thing. I like the flowers but if they go into yr gutters the tank water tastes foul

Time lapse video it, it'll be like Megashark vs Giant Squid

I have to trim the vine here every few weeks, but it's just used a hedge. If I left it the thing will grow up a tree and make a dash for the powerlines in six weeks during the growing season

Not sure if it'd do that where you are, depends on how much water it can get

• Like 1

Just now, Darklight said:

Yeah kill the fucken thing. I like the flowers but if they go into yr gutters the tank water tastes foul

Time lapse video it, it'll be like Megashark vs Giant Squid

I have to trim the vine here every few weeks, but it's just used a hedge. If I left it the thing will grow up a tree and make a dash for the powerlines in six weeks during the growing season

Not sure if it'd do that where you are, depends on how much water it can get

I've read it's pretty invasive once it takes off... if given the right conditions of course

As for watering, I can water it enough until its really put down roots and it should be alright on its own?

IME its a pretty hardy plant.

it will be very cool growing on a tree. it needs something to lean on... you can always prune so as not to loose the tree.