The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
od101010

Cactus noobie transplanting seedlings

Hey Guys n Girls

Have some seedlings getting along and just wondering how long you wait before transplanting?

I have a few that are close to the top of the takeaway containers.

Also pic attached these Cereus peruvianus monstrose seem to be long before the spikes start should i plant them at current soil height or bury some? Most of the other seedlings have a little bit before the spikes.

Cheers

IMG_2850 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

5a0a27b12b681_IMG_2850-Copy.thumb.JPG.436b115797b5e80d66b0ecfb25193384.JPG

IMG_2850.thumb.JPG.d76a0d188ebee80b3f0242f2c01fcfea.JPG

IMG_2851.thumb.JPG.1d6bec6360a9b6df13f24d9c7805ed49.JPG

5a0a27b12b681_IMG_2850-Copy.thumb.JPG.436b115797b5e80d66b0ecfb25193384.JPG

IMG_2850.thumb.JPG.d76a0d188ebee80b3f0242f2c01fcfea.JPG

IMG_2851.thumb.JPG.1d6bec6360a9b6df13f24d9c7805ed49.JPG

• Like 1

Ps i was planing on doing some grafts but my cat or cats like to either eat or rub against the pere's so any new growth on them usually gets snapped off, need to get them inside under light me thinks.

Edited by od101010
  • Like 1

:):)

These can be transplanted successfully and a few casualties might be expected as a norm.

Use a blunt instrument like a screw-driver to gently dig them out of the substrate, avoiding to injure the surface of the seedlings.

Bury in the new substrate at the spike level, digging holes with the same instrument and spraying with waterbottle after everything is in place, to settle the substrate.

Some additional light might be gently introduced to avoid further thin growth.

Grafting at this stage is a very good option as well..

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 0:23 AM, od101010 said:

Ps i was planing on doing some grafts but my cat or cats like to either eat or rub against the pere's so any new growth on them usually gets snapped off, need to get them inside under light me thinks.

Well the first few weeks untill the graft has taken you will be busy removing the new peres shoots anyway, so just tell your cat not to toch the scion and its win win

• Like 1

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, mysubtleascention said:

Use a blunt instrument like a screw-driver to gently dig them out of the substrate

I use a teaspoon to gently lift out in clumps and then gently separate them : )

• Like 1

How old are these seedlings if you don't mind me asking?

I have a couple hundred of a few different types of Tricho that look just a little younger than yours and are 2 and a half months old.

*I find that grafting to pereskiopsis works best at around the 1-2 month mark bc of size issues(unless you have very large peres)*

For what its worth, I do a lot of my grafts at the 2 week mark. Whatever you practice you will become good at. Don't limit yourself if you don't have to. Practice what you know how to do well, but always stretch the limits of what you are comfortable with if you want to improve. Grafting is like riding a bike, but it is also about consistency. The more you do it and the more frequently you graft the better your skills will become. This is why I try to graft a seedling each day. Many days I will graft more than one seedling.