The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
stonewolf

Non pharma mao b inhibitors?

I've read so many contradictory reports as to what might consistute a natural maob inhibitor and gave up as it seems mao a inhibition is far more common in nature.

This forum is full of very clever people though so I thought it worth asking.

Kavalactones are the only ones that pop to mind.

There are a few. They also seem to be weak, have other effects and are reversible. I've played around with selegiline but nothing really jumps out as great for natural ones...

Fo-ti is one, not great. Some kavalactones are weak inhibitors.

"Piperine competitively inhibited MAO-A and MAO-B with Ki values of 19.0+/-0.9 microM and 3.19+/-0.5 microM,
Quercetin has also been shown to [inhhibit] MAO-A (IC50 = 18 +/-0.2 microM) and especially MAO-B (IC50 = 0.2 +/-0.02 microM)
Rosiridin inhibits MAO-B at approx. 10 micromolar concentrations.

IC50 (required concentration to inhibit 50% of the enzyme) for segeligine: 1.7 uM (1700 nM) for MAO-A, and 6.8 nM for MAO-B

Quercertin is therefore approximately 1/30 as effective as a MAO-B inhibitor as selegiline"

The IC(50) values of (+)-catechin and (-)-epicatechin were 88.6 and 58.9 microM, respectively, and inhibition occurred in a dose-dependent manner, as measured by the fluorescence method. The Lineweaver-Burk plot revealed K(i) values for (+)-catechin and (-)-epicatechin of 74 and 21 microM, respectively.

Norharman IC50 hMAO-B = 4.68 μM, Ki hMAO-B = 1.12 μM Harman, harmine and their corresponding synthetic derivatives are preferentially hMAO-A inhibitors

Gancaonin A IC50 rMAO-B = 0.8 μM

See more (let me know if you cant get the full text):

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258445594_Selective_MAO-B_inhibitors_A_lesson_from_natural_products

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 4