The Corroboree
Gambeard

Tasmanian trichocereus collectors?

Hey everyone, fairly new hear and just coming up to a year collecting trichos. Just wanting to know if there are many other members here in Tasmania with them? I'd love to buy some seedlings/cuts/rooted plants if possible. I don't really have anything ready for trade yet but have just sown about 1500 seeds and over 40 different hybrids so will have plenty in the near future . 

Any help would be much appreciated! 

• Like 2

Ex - tassie here.  there are collectors in Tas, they come and go from this forum, but there are certainly some nice specimens around.

i will be back for a couple of months soon. looking forward to seeing how my collection there is.

are you north or south of the island?

cactii in tas are pretty slow growing and a good greenhouse does wonders.

I may be able to help you depending where in Tas you are located.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, obtuse said:

Ex - tassie here.  there are collectors in Tas, they come and go from this forum, but there are certainly some nice specimens around.

i will be back for a couple of months soon. looking forward to seeing how my collection there is.

are you north or south of the island?

I may be able to help you depending where in Tas you are located.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I've managed to hook up with a couple of other guys down here, most of them fairly new also. 

I'm in the south of the state, Hobart area. But do travel north from time to time. What area were you from? 

I'd love to come and check out your collection sometime when you're back? Alternatively am happy to pay for postage if it was a bit of a journey and you had the time to post.

Represent:wink:Northern Division.

There's a few about, we are not the most common  species.... Probably for good reason. Which part of the island does dictate how much ease you have in growing.

I've always wondered why I haven't seen an East Coast lad or Las yet.

Get into grafting onto Peres mate, it will change the game for you.

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 3

I am from far south, south of hobart.

Most people ive meet on here seem to be from the north west, or hobart area.

took me ages to get peres, and even that was slow growing for me.

i can send photos when i get back.  but not into people visiting my collection out of privacy concerns.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

Represent:wink:Northern Division.

There's a few about, we are not the most common  species.... Probably for good reason. Which part of the island does dictate how much ease you have in growing.

I've always wondered why I haven't seen an East Coast lad or Las yet.

Get into grafting onto Peres mate, it will change the game for you.

Getting into grafting is probably next on my list. Just propagated heaps of spach, and have a pretty vigorous pc that is turning into a pup machine. Ive just started doing some seeds under lights also. 

Do you have any peres? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, obtuse said:

I am from far south, south of hobart.

Most people ive meet on here seem to be from the north west, or hobart area.

took me ages to get peres, and even that was slow growing for me.

i can send photos when i get back.  but not into people visiting my collection out of privacy concerns.

Another southerner is good!

Yeah I'd love to see some pics when you are back. I completely understand that you're not into strangers visiting your garden also. 

Hopefully we can meet one day and in a couple of years I'll have some stuff for trades.

sure i can supply some pics.  i need to make an assessment of the collection, and see what pups i have.  i am bringing some pups back to victoria in order to develop a collection here. but i have plenty of excess seedlings, and cuts of things im not really interested in such as 'yowie' and some peruvianus cuts.

• Like 3

Fkn southerners...lol..:wink: And expats:P

I run a small tight ship on Peres and on a regrowth phase atm, but can get some starter stock out at some stage.

I may be cutting a few things which may be of interest, just gotta get some mild weather and feeling OK to be poking about the ghouse of a day to size things up. I'm mostly poking about them at night ...and I am usually pretty well medicated:lol:

• Like 4

Obtuse when do you think you will be back in Tas? I'll send you a message when you're down here if you like. I don't have a yowie yet so would definitely be interested in a cut. Thanks :)

Haha Waterboy I feel the same about those bloody northerners! ;) and no rush just whenever you're feeling up to it man, that'd be awesome cheers. If you get a chance to send any pics at all too that'd be cool! 

• Like 2

Be  in Tas mid december, post EGA and things have settled.  sure, pretty sure i have a yowie to spare.  is there anything you can swap for it?

ill check my peres stock too 

• Like 2

As mentioned I don't really have anything for trade at the moment, most of mine are cuts I've picked up in the last 6 months and still establishing roots. I have a couple of small bridgesii seedlings I have doubles of that I can trade, other than that I can give you money. I'm waiting on this years seeds to grow. 

na, keep your seedlings till they grow out, you wont see their true form till they are older, and thats when interesting features show.

happy to just give a piece away, maybe you can help me out another time when your collection is bigger.  spread the love.

• Like 2

I'll definitely have some stuff for you and others in the future. Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the kindness. 

I'll chat to you soon :)

On 10/29/2017 at 10:16 PM, obtuse said:

Depends on where you are and what species are being grown.

Trichs absolutely love my outdoors, Southern Tasmanian environment :wink:

But yeah, a greenhouse is definitely a must have to grow certain species down here.

59fc5a0a9e142_TassieTrichs.thumb.jpg.f0ff79a8201b402f388e3b448135c2f9.jpg

I'll be performing a cull in the near future, Gambeard.

Will try to remember to send you a PM, or just keep an eye on 'Seed & Plant Exchange' section.

Edited by Peyofox
  • Like 4

nice photo Peyofox.

beautiful specimens

• Like 1

beauty plants @Peyofox

Do you have an idea of average rainfall in your neck of the woods?

You've got microclimate going on good:wink:They be loving it.

• Like 1

Wow nice pic Peyofox! You've got some beautiful plants! They seem to be really happy! l'll be sure to keep an eye out for some :)

Bump. Any other Tassie folk out there? How's everyone's plants looking this summer? 

• Like 1

Tasmanian here! Would be great to get in contact with a few of you guys. Also does pereskiopsis even exist in tasmania? Haha, seems quite hard to get ahold of! 

Im from Tas and a new member, after lurking around for a bit . I recently became interested in growing cactii, atm only a couple small trichs, and would love to get hold of some pereskiopsis. I currently dont have much to trade but am interested in getting to know any like minded Tassie folk.

Oh i hope last nights wind in the north hasnt wreaked too much havoc on everyones gardens, peace 

I'll be sure to share some if I ever find it! haha

Another from the Tassie deep south. My fledgling collection is just starting to pick up.  Cuts are swelling (maybe water next month) rooted seedlings are putting on a little growth.  I have them in a pickers shed that gets good sun and warmth but definately keen for a greenhouse one day.  Take away containers came out of the prop tent today.  

Amazing pic Peyofox im inspired to get some in the ground but am uncertain about too much rain and screaming frosts.  Does the fence provide the necessary warmth and protection?

Philo and Caster, Ive got about 10 or so little peres from some single node propagating a few weeks ago.  Happy to send a piece your way when the time comes so you can do the same.  

1 hour ago, Humbolt said:

Another from the Tassie deep south. My fledgling collection is just starting to pick up.  Cuts are swelling (maybe water next month) rooted seedlings are putting on a little growth.  I have them in a pickers shed that gets good sun and warmth but definately keen for a greenhouse one day.  Take away containers came out of the prop tent today.  

Amazing pic Peyofox im inspired to get some in the ground but am uncertain about too much rain and screaming frosts.  Does the fence provide the necessary warmth and protection?

Philo and Caster, Ive got about 10 or so little peres from some single node propagating a few weeks ago.  Happy to send a piece your way when the time comes so you can do the same.  

Hey mate. I have a raised garden bed with excellent drainage.

Plants get full sun during the day and my yard is quite sheltered.

Where I am situated (fairly coastal), I very, very rarely get any frosts.

Although they have been through plenty of hail storms over the years and it didn't seem to bother them at all.

For a small place Tassie has some very varying weather conditions.

However, from my experience, trichs are very tough and forgiving plants to grow.

Start them off in pots and plant in the ground once they are reasonably established.