The Corroboree
DiscoStu

German State censorship signed into law

A new German law introducing state censorship on social media platforms came into effect on October 1, 2017. The new law requires social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, to censor their users on behalf of the German state. Social media companies are obliged to delete or block any online "criminal offenses" such as libel, slander, defamation or incitement, within 24 hours of receipt of a user complaint -- regardless of whether or the content is accurate or not. Social media companies receive seven days for more complicated cases. If they fail to do so, the German government can fine them up to 50 million euros for failing to comply with the law.

Meanwhile, the district court in Munich recently sentenced a German journalist, Michael Stürzenberger, to six months in jail for posting on his Facebook page a historical photo of the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, shaking the hand of a senior Nazi official in Berlin in 1941. The prosecution accused Stürzenberger of "inciting hatred towards Islam" and "denigrating Islam" by publishing the photograph. The court found Stürzenberger guilty of "disseminating the propaganda of anti-constitutional organizations". While the mutual admiration that once existed between al-Husseini and German Nazis is an undisputed historical fact, now evidently history is being rewritten by German courts. Stürzenberger has appealed the verdict.

Well. I hope "The Left" realises this censorship is all well and good until the political spectrum swings back right. You might not like so much what they do with it then.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-23/germany-full-censorship-now-official

• Like 4

And there that journalist was thinking free speech was allowed and that the truth was okay to publish.

That'll teach him.

• Like 1

Swing to the right has more momentum than most realise.  Not in germany though, still rather feeble there.

5 hours ago, Northerner said:

And there that journalist was thinking free speech was allowed and that the truth was okay to publish.

That'll teach him.

Fuckn dumb motherfucker. As the magistrate told me the other day, and I quote:

"I know it's not fair and it isn't about what's fair. It's about what's in law. There are lots of unfair laws...

"Please leave naive thoughts of justice at the door" signage is the litigation hot spot for the future, because you can take the court to court for not providing signage that would've saved you from spending time and money on any defense based on such an erroneous assumption. That shit is so easy to fix from a WH&S standpoint, and pretty cheap too.

Edited by Responsible Choice
ing not ed
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, DiscoStu said:

Social media companies are obliged to delete or block any online "criminal offenses" such as libel, slander, defamation or incitement, within 24 hours of receipt of a user complaint -- regardless of whether or the content is accurate or not.

I have no idea what the actual legislation involves, but if it's worded like that it's going to create some legal turmoil for years to come/

It seems to contradict its own premise. On one hand they're saying incidences of libel and slander have to be removed within 24 hrs and then they say "regardless of whether the content is accurate or not"

It's either slander or it's not. If it's not slander (true) then it's not a criminal offence anddoesn't fit the criteria for removal.

If that gets challenged and upheld in Germany's high court system then that could be the end of free speech and all other democratic principles.

Not being allowed to report on historically accurate facts seems like an attempt of mass mind control.

I see mass riots in Germany if this type of state control keeps going the way it is.

• Like 1

Also, why is there all this politics in my thread? The only politics allowed is ZEF. Be nice to newb!

Even the Commonwealth Bank is in my thread LOL. Get out bank! Only Zef Bank allowed ie. cash only.

Edited by GypsyLee

OH SORRY IT’S NOT EVEN MY THREAD. CARRY ON.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GypsyLee said:

Damn, how do I post so it shows what the video is.

You don't need to use the youtube embed code any more. I just copy the URL into the editor and it embeds it automagically.

• Like 1

^Thanks. I was totally in the wrong thread so I’m kind of glad it just came up as a URL. That lessened the embarrassment slightly :rolleyes:

I don't see this as a left/right issue Disco. I see it as more authoritarian/anti-authoritarian.

• Like 2

True, but its the lefty governments AND TECH GIANTS that have been shitting on free speech lately, not to mention antifa fruit loops.

I don't see this as a left/right issue Disco. I see it as more authoritarian/anti-authoritarian.

true, why I put it in ""Quotes"" (and cos merkels gov is considered centre-right?). but anyway as Thunder says, in debates I see the schism between free speech/non-free speech falls mostly down right/left lines. 

Edited by DiscoStu

just came here to say FUCK THE RIGHT WING

TI you are damaging the forum with your alt-right obsession. And you are doing it for a couple years now... 

Edited by sagiXsagi

I love Thunder's input and found it to be some of the most healing and reassuring words on here this year..

I would still want to be caving in my lefty mum's skull in and local authority - enough to do actually do it if it weren't for his time and care to equip/impart knowledge.

Sorry I have nowt to add for the main OP but you guys are all quality regardless of which wing you guys fling.