The Corroboree
shonman

Mailing rooted cuttings

Hello all!

i have mailed rooted cuttings of small trees many times recently...

they do great and have new leaves while I am growing them...

but often after being mailed, seem to turn brown, and die,..or just drop leaves.

maybe oerson getting them , did not put them in humidity chamber right away.

also, I had wrapped them in paper towel, which I now suspect may have contained bleach / chems from its maker.

so, my question is......

....how can I effectively mail rooted cuttings, that are used to a high humidity environment

and have them arrive in good condition and continue to thrive?

thanks!

• Like 1

I've had excellent results removing most or all of the soil (washing them clean whenever going international), wrapping the roots with a piece of moist paper towel, carefully wrapping that inside of a plastic bag, enclosing the entire lot in another loosely fitting paper bag, then securing all of that with tape and cushioning so it cannot move around inside of the box. Over the years multiple species of temperate, semitropical and tropical species have been sent this way via USPS with only the rare failure.

However, you cannot control the actions of careless people who fail to pay attention to the needs for continued humidity, moisture and warmth. They are very likely to fail no matter how you ship the plants. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I tried that with five kratom trees and they all died!

that is how I usually send cuttings too.

i suspect the recipients did not follow instructions re: place immdiately in Humidity chamber.

now I am going to a tech using a porous sealed plant bag that allows air in but retains water ...

PM'd  a "with soil" tek I just successed not long ago with a friend who showed me it

..and also used same method in return with a kratom,

-hope it helps for at least the places you can send a bit of soil to shonman