The Corroboree
mud

Hell in a handbag

from what i understand (and i haven't looked too deeply into it), but he's asking for access to data already on file?

for example drivers licenses, facial images are already on file so he's simply asking for easier access to what's already there.

so i guess i'm going to turn this around on you, why shouldn't the government have access to this?

I really feel old ways of thinking can't solve current or future problems. At best they can only postpone. I feel most if not everything cannot be solved and implemented unless the change in conciousness takes place. This is in all levels of society. But even this change is being held back by the current model. 

But it yes all this technology is a double edged sword. Problem is we don't hold the handle. 

• Like 4

I really feel old ways of thinking can't solve current or future problems. At best they can only postpone. I feel most if not everything cannot be solved and implemented unless the change in conciousness takes place. This is in all levels of society. But even this change is being held back by the current model. 

change you define what this change in consciousness should be and how it would benefit society as a whole?

I'm guessing you meant 'can'? Lol.

to be honest I find those who don't know what change is needed apart of the mass sleepers. I'm not having a go at anyone but such a simple concept seems to be beyond what the masses can comprehend. And how would it benefit society as a whole..... well... i won't reck the surprise. 

but for those who need a helping hand:- 

love, don't hate

teach, don't indoctrinate

share, don't keep

smile, don't weep

truth, not lie

all, not I

rise, don't bow

lets tear down this hell.

its simple - yet the most difficult thing we may face as a whole. 

The creature has enslaved our town, but no one thinks to bring it down. Provided with so much distraction, the people can't be called to action.

• Like 3

no i meant change, and if you can't figure out what i meant from that then you're asleep and need to wake up :wink:

so reading further it seems the proposal is facial biometrics performed on security cameras and then linking to databases like dmv/passport etc.

like i said, the government already has access to this and all face recognition will really do is speed it up. what's your specific objection to this? is it the storing of facial images? is it the biometric analysis? if it's the sharing with 3rd parties I agree. Also there's no mention of who is handling the data in the article but by chance i came across this:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/australian-government-details-govpass-digital-id/

not so much the ID thing (which i don't like but also don't care about because it's optional), but more so the people handling the data. incase you've not heard of equifax they're the people who handles the US social security and etc. data who got hacked recently:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-18/equifax-not-your-friend-should-everyone-freeze-their-account

so is equifax handling the ID/biometrics of the governments proposal? dunno but they do have some kind of ID verification solution:

https://www.equifax.com.au/business-enterprise/products/idmatrix

so it would be interesting to see if this will be used for the governments proposal.

What can WE do?

well we can start by not making vague and nebulous statements then criticising anyone who doesn't understand or agree with them as being brain dead......

but seriously information sharing is probably the only thing you can do in this instance. the equifax link could be something to use to spread awareness/opposition

• Like 1

your sentence was a bit dodgy mate

just sayin'

broadly speaking, i don't like the surveillance state path that developed nations are heading down where you are getting scanned every time you go somewhere, filmed every street you turn down, data from your smartphone and transactions handed over to the government etc.  its just more government power (and expenditure) from my POV.  nothing good comes from big government.  its a simple argument but it spares all the nitty gritty which nobody is interested in anyway. 

big government, more taxation, more power, more artificial market, greater power to subdue population, greater desire to hold onto that power and gain more.  we've long since passed the point where additional governing benefits society and we're moving further into it's being detrimental.

i'm not against using new technology to apprehend criminals but we know  the abuse of power will happen and we should probably look into how closely our definition of 'criminal' is synonymous with 'bad'.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 7

Get a cool haircut:

feature-right.jpg

Or maybe some new glasses:

30967744181_9be5ecb3c9_o.png

Maybe take out some sort of super-restrictive copyright on the use of your own image?

Or, you know, write to your MP and get a bunch of other people to do the same. I'd probably still get the glasses through, just to be on the safe side. 

• Like 8

your sentence was a bit dodgy mate

are you referring to me? which sentence in particular?

Edited by DiscoStu

In a society where the government relies on facial recognition for law enforcement (and other even less salutory activities), how long do you reckon the right to dress as you please will last? If this tech becomes widely used, then covering your face with a burqa, or bandana, or facepaint, or scruffy hair, becomes not only socially-unacceptable but downright suspicious potential-criminal type behaviour (remember that cops only need "reasonable suspicion" to detain & search you). I sometimes wear face-covering garments, for various reasons, and it is interesting to watch peoples' reactions to that - there is some curiosity, but an awful lot of hostility & fear. I would not like to see those prejudices given any more government support.

• Like 11

hey @Anodyne that hit home mate:wink:I wear a fair bit of desert tek and bandanas now...lol....I know.

They've always been able to get the info.....they just actually had to justify it......

Now they want it at their fingertips unfettered....jackpot (*does spirit fingers*)

Nothing good is gunna come from it. .......

• Like 6

9 hours ago, mud said:

What should be done? What can be done? What are you doing?

What can WE do?

Wait until push turns to shove, which it will, then enjoy the inevitable uprising that follows. Its only a matter of time IMO... In the mean time, incite as much sedition as possible :) 

• Like 3

the progressive nature of humanity means though, facial recognition wont be the end of it. 

Already the military uses the gait (the way a person moves and walks) to identify people as its a lot harder to conceal. wont be long before it will be our dna identifying us instantly. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, El Presidente Hillbillios said:

the progressive nature of humanity means though, facial recognition wont be the end of it. 

Already the military uses the gait (the way a person moves and walks) to identify people as its a lot harder to conceal. wont be long before it will be our dna identifying us instantly. 

Seriously?  (Rhetorical, I know you know your shit.) The military can ID someone from their gait?  Shit's fucked up.  

Cosmetic surgery and some hobbling maybe?  

This was playing in the background as I was reading this post.  

• Like 3

^ affix something to the bottom of your shoe.

frankly, i think it's probably all just a ruse.  another waste of taxpayers money on a technology that is kind of flawed unless, as Anodyne suggested, face coverings are banned.  but do you really think that's gonna happen soon?  zombie marchers will be seriously pissed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gem said:

Seriously?  (Rhetorical, I know you know your shit.) The military can ID someone from their gait?  Shit's fucked up.  

Cosmetic surgery and some hobbling maybe?  

Yeah its used now, its not future tech. solar powered drones are taught the gait of a target, its actually a lot harder to alter your gait than wearing one shoe or tacks or something like that, apparently some targets are already onto this and have surgery to alter bone lengths. there was a tender kicking around a couple of years ago for a laser thats small and light enough to mount on a solar powered drone. the idea behind that was so it never had to land even for ammunition. imagine that! just like terminator days. Teach a drone a targets gait then it scours the earth, potentially forever, until it finds them. then onto the next one. its actually not even legal as a human has to always have the final call. but the big guys dont really worry about that so much    

This isnt tin foil hat stuff either, as much as it sounds it 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Anodyne said:

In a society where the government relies on facial recognition for law enforcement (and other even less salutory activities), how long do you reckon the right to dress as you please will last? If this tech becomes widely used, then covering your face with a burqa, or bandana, or facepaint, or scruffy hair, becomes not only socially-unacceptable but downright suspicious potential-criminal type behaviour (remember that cops only need "reasonable suspicion" to detain & search you). I sometimes wear face-covering garments, for various reasons, and it is interesting to watch peoples' reactions to that - there is some curiosity, but an awful lot of hostility & fear. I would not like to see those prejudices given any more government support.

I may have imagined this but haven't they already passed laws along these lines ?

I'm sure I saw cops at a Melbourne rally dragging protesters out of the crowd and arresting them because they had head coverings - balaclavas, bandannas and t shirts etc.

All this shit will become ubiquitous and there won't be many sanctuaries from it.

We already have cops driving through carparks doing automated number plate scans, add the facial recognition and it will start to become like a broad scale military control mechanism.

Maybe this type of big brother tech has the potential to help create more rouges like malcom naden and the stockos who use their bush smarts to drop off the grid and lurk in the shadows.

Edited by Sallubrious
  • Like 4

Wow,
i'm pumped that there've been so many responses to this.

Do we realise the subtle development of this headline is to have 'real time' connectivity of the nationwide camera system applied to those databases?
It's not just to use photo's on file.

It's to apply real time identification technology via it.
They'll know who you are..where you..what you're doing,
and where you're going next.
Even IF the mass of camera's remained technically 'closed circuit',
most of 'em are wireless!!!!!!

The real worry is in the trend. It's in joining the dots. In connecting each headlien to the next. Understanding the progressive lullaby as its amped upward.

Time to unjoin some dots!

• Like 3

It's gna know whether you can or cannot do the john cleese walk before it actually witnesses you bust it ..

or try and fail .. while you think only psychics are watching ..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sallubrious said:

I may have imagined this but haven't they already passed laws along these lines ?

I'm sure I saw cops at a Melbourne rally dragging protesters out of the crowd and arresting them because they had head coverings - balaclavas, bandannas and t shirts etc.

Not sure if it's been embalmed into our law yet. Cops have been doing that for decades though, long before this tech existed. It is partly profiling bullshit (that they figure certain people - eg. those covering their faces - are more likely to be a real threat in some way, eg. wanted terrorists & fugitives), but it is mostly an intimidation tactic, as far as I can tell. You'll notice that they also target anyone using a microphone/megaphone, people who are obviously recording, and so on. I've seen arrest records after protests where the only charge was "resisting arrest", so if they can get away with arresting "ringleaders" on such circular reasoning then I don't believe they actually *need* legal support to harass people. But at the moment it is limited to certain events like rallies & strikes - cops don't get away with the same behaviours (or at least, not the same level) in a supermarket or school fete, say.

In a way this has all been happening for as long as there have been cameras. Just much, much slower. But like the metadata retention scheme, it's at the point now where the speed & volume of the data processed have increased so much from previous generations of tech, that the entire nature of the system & the ways it can be used, is changing. I don't follow social trends so I don't know the proper terms for this stuff, but it's like a phase shift in chemistry - when you reach a certain point the matter isn't just "a bit denser", it is qualitatively different. I believe facial recognition (in the worldwide, real-time-linked sense we've been talking about) is another one of these shifts. In a sense, it has been happening for years, in another it has already happened. But there still might be room for plebs like us to get a say in who gets to wield that power in our futures, and for what purposes. So we should still protest shit like this, and wear bandanas to work some days for no good reason - just because we can. At least for now.

• Like 4

Don't know how well this can be applied to facial recognition, but it's pretty cool nonetheless:

http://www.labsix.org/physical-objects-that-fool-neural-nets/ 

https://arxiv.org/abs/1707.07397

Edited by Yeti101
Couldn't get picture to work.
  • Like 5