The Corroboree

Day 7:

I drank most of the rest of my potion today, about 150ml, feeling pretty good. The rain yesterday lifted my spirits, and I took some pics in the garden this morning, then went for a bushwalk.

Enjoying being in the moment, and feeling about a thousand percent better than this time last week. I wont put it all down to the vine, but it sure did help.

I feel change is in the air...

• Like 4

Hi Glaukus and others here. This is really good information and I've been following with great interest.

I've been working towards microdosing caapi and have stopped taking my 35mg of Amitriptyline each night (prescribed for diabetic induced neuropathic pain) a week ago. I will be using fresh vine (close to 10 years old) and am curious about how much vine to use for a week's dosage, how long to brew it and how much to reduce it down to for the week's dosage. I intend to use a small amount of citric acid in the brew. I realise there will be variables in the amount of alkaloid in different types of caapi so am looking for a ballpark figure in how much to brew and the amount of fresh vine to use. The aim is to microdose and perhaps continue daily for a few weeks using a minimum daily dose. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I'm also curious about the benefits that can be obtained by brewing fresh caapi leaves into a green tea and alternatively, smoking same.

Cheers <3

• Like 1

Hi Sam,

There are no firm rules, I used around 50g for the week. If your vine is fresh not dry, then you'd want maybe 100g or more. Feel your way, you might want more or less once you start.

Brewing some leaf as well will be my next experiment, I believe it has a bit more thh by weight, but also may be more emetic. Smoking some leaf is also effective but shorter lived. It is quite pleasant and would be a good way to top up through the day.

• Like 2

Thank you Glaukus, much appreciated ;-)

Very interesting thread Glaukus! glad to hear you were feeling a bit better in your last check in. I've heard of many people using Caapi tea to combat depression/anxiety. I actually wasn't aware that Caapi was noticeably active on it's own, I'm curious what kind of physical effects you notice after consuming the tea?

Hi Squidgygoanna,

Caapi is noticeably active on its own, the effects are hard to pin down at such low doses though. I notice a hum or buzz in my head on harmala alkaloids, it's almost electrical. Mentally I'm quite susceptible to feeling a bit strange and trippy even on minute amounts of any entheogens these days...

• Like 2

Chapter 2: Peganum harmala.

So I had a less than optimal week last week, and didn't look after myself as well as I should. My overall well-being score is still better than when I started, but my anxiety was quite high today.

I think it is worth comparing rue with caapi, to see if it's as effective. I plan to take 250mg of raw seeds daily, and I started today. 

The rue is easily accessible, whereas I know some are not sure where to source caapi. It's also cheap and requires less material for a similar quantity of actives. The alkaloid profile is quite different too. The has a higher % of harmaline, and a fair few other alkaloids that some find less attractive due to their actions, but I've worked with rue a lot and I'm very comfortable in his space. I say "his" because I feel a strong masculine presence in rue. It feels ancient and civilized to me.

I must say I was impressed with its quick onset today, I thought the raw seeds might have a slow release effect, but I felt noticeable effects on a full stomach in less than an hour. A few hours later I was almost anxiety free, and felt good.

I'll report back over the next week and keep this thread up to date.

• Like 1

Good luck mate. 

(personally, i'd start a new thread)

• Like 1

Sorry for not updating in a while folks, life gets crazy hey?

I've been doing well mostly, had an excellent summer. But this time of year also feels a bit sad as I know the long days and summery vibes are losing ground to the dark again. 

I've also felt the last week has been a horror in a lot of ways, folks here going through some shit (Sally, horsey and ano come to mind), and I've been through the wringer too.

Time for another full week of caapi methinks. I want to prepare for a big weekend coming up with the cactus crew too.

I'm going to brew up using younger vine and leaf this week. I believe leaf has a higher percentage of THH so I'll let you all know how it goes.

I think I've turned a bad week on its head already, today was a shocker but I found a way to finish it on the front foot and made someone very happy!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear things are a bit rough for you and others at the moment, please feel free to reach out anytime you need to talk @Glaukus and anyone else feeling in struggle.

I'll share my vine experience. It was good in that it taught me to temporarily take a break from vicey things but on top of poor lifestyle choices, neglecting my social-emotional-spiritual needs, poor diet it just crumbled so quickly. I was rapid back in hell. It had some mild uplift and efficacy, gave me a good break free from poor self-medication and potentially gave me some direction but I wasn't fully working with it. I didn't feel connected to myself, others, heart or spirit. It was too much to ask for just a short time to impart healing by no real effort of my own.  I also had some kind of degenerative process going on, I needed to go polyphenols, anti-inflammatory food and move up from there. I had to regain personal choices that were healthy again, that were empowering and loving. That's where I've found adopting self-care building very ground up basics with our less spirited allies very healing. In building basics, I found self-love. It's reset my hedonistic cravings, given me daily uplift to keep growing, lately it's picked up in that things are much improved and I'm able make healthier choices. I was seeking the quick fix in vine, I needed the personal total life-style shift. I was running on unconscious autopilot, I needed to be personally re-empowered through small steps of loving choice.

• Like 1

Just read through this thread, and instead of 'liking' every post I thought I'd just say thanks to Glaukus and all the posters here. Great information and fantastic support. Good work on tackling the things you're going through, and thanks for sharing the journey. 

I'd be interested to read more about how your felt regarding the differences between rue and caapi at these doses. 

Thanks buddy, I'm actually doing pretty well, I feel good mostly. I'm trying to get a boost though.

Today I performed a ceremonial brew up of 60g small caapi sections (a bit smaller in diameter than my little finger. I put in a handful of caapi leaf and a handful of viridis to add some light.

Cooked it down to about 600ml, for 6 days of doses, equal to 6g per dose. Seems coincidental it's all 6's!

Starting tomorrow.

• Like 2

This brew feels a lot lighter, uplifting almost. 

I'm doing nighttime doses this week, hoping for some good, deep dreams. Last night (day 1) I was fully immersed in dreaming. I was sure I was awake, and I got up to look in the mirror to find my beard had inexplicably disappeared overnight. This was most perplexing to me, and the only possible answer was that my wife had managed to shave me in my sleep. She admitted this when I asked. I think this should have been a lucid dreaming cue, but I never seem to pick them. Practice makes perfect I guess.

• Like 4

Hi Glaukis. Very interesting reading your experiments. Would also like to hear about the Rue vs Caapi experience.

All the best on your Path.

:)

OK, been an interesting few days.

I've been in a really cranky mood the last two days, possibly, in fact most likely due to bad sleeping. I've had a few broken hours each night, but I depend on solid sleep these days (nights).

It's been so hot and maybe the evening brews are affecting my sleep. Job stress is back too this week, meh.

I had a super intense dream last night where I witnessed a motorcycle accident, and was trying to help the mangled victim. I woke up in horror and couldn't sleep again. I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest. 

I'm really looking forward to this weekend and catching up with the staunch crew again.

I'll get to caapi vs rue soon. I need to think about how to put it into words.

• Like 4

no burning out b4 the weekend bro.  and drive carefully.

• Like 2

~I hope your weekend flew str8 for ya m8 

After reading this thread a while I have been very interested to introduce myself to caapi , but closest I have is some caaplopteryssludge

so about 10 mins ago adorned one figertip blob some to gum over a moderate tooth abcess over an empty stomach to kick off ..

... which is like past with Peggy S'rue whenever needed in the past and thus microdosed it until healed

...appears to be having an effect to reduce the swelling already .. I already feel some wobbly hazey vibe so gna catch up later ... and thank you so much for an awesome thread Glaukus!

-additional finger tip dab repeated about 20 mins after ...

potential cross interactions = daily tepezcohuite serum use

-3rd big as possible fingertip dip about 20 mins later to depth of nail and good gum wipe prior to end for the days expt sesh until tomorrow..

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

How does Ayahuasca go vs conventional mindfulness training?

In some states, particularly if someone is locked into extreme (pathological) cognitive frameworks, you cannot retrain/instill mindfulness without causing strengthened cognitive pathology with many conventional approaches IMO.

I'd like to see a dissociation of the effects of β-carbolines only studied. I don't believe the more visionary aspect is always required. Particularly in mental illness, where you need to reach therapeutic mindful states without always going through profound ego deaths and rebirths.

Recent research has shown that the β-carbolines may also have a relevant contribution to the overall effects. Specifically, harmine, THH, and the harmine metabolite harmol, stimulate adult neurogenesis. It also enhances GABAergic transmission onto basoamygdala projection neurons and appears to have distinct effects on functional connectivity and EEG parameters. Acutely, strong and widespread clusters found between β-carbolines circulating levels and spectral changes in the EEG suggests these compounds do contribute quite strongly to the effects, sans extreme psychoactivity.

"Compared to non-users, habitual ayahuasca consumers show lower hopelessness and depression levels, and higher scores on certain personality traits like agreeableness and openness

The Five Facet Mindfulness Questionnaire or FFMQ (Baer et al., 2006; Cebolla et al., 2012) is a self-reported questionnaire that measures five mindfulness components: (1) Observing: noticing external and internal experiences, e.g., body sensations, thoughts or emotions; (2) Describing: putting words to, or labeling the internal experience; (3) Acting with awareness: focusing on the present activity instead of behaving mechanically; (4) Non-Judging the inner experience: taking a non-evaluative stance toward the present experience, thoughts or emotions; and (5) Non-Reacting to the inner experience: allowing thoughts and feelings to come, without getting caught up in, or carried away, by them. Sample items for each sub-scale include: Observing “When I take a shower or bath, I stay alert to the sensations of water on my body”; Describing “I’m good at finding words to describe my feelings”; Acting with awareness “I am easily distracted”; Non-Judging “I tell myself I should not be feeling the way I am feeling”; and Non-Reacting “I watch my feelings without getting lost in them.”

From a neurobiological perspective, our findings can be linked to the selective modulation by ayahuasca of specific brain regions and networks. In a neuroimaging study using MRI, we found associations between Non-Judging increases and post-acute neurometabolic and connectivity changes (Sampedro et al., 2017). Reductions in the levels of the excitatory glutamate–glutamine complex in the posterior cingulate cortex (PCC) correlated with Non-Judging increases 24 h after ayahuasca intake and at follow-up 2 months later. In the same study, increased functional connectivity between the anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) and the PCC and between the ACC and the medial temporal lobe (MTL) also correlated with Non-Judging at the two assessment time points. Thus, desirable effects at the psychological level were linked on the one hand to neurometabolic reductions in the PCC, a region which is key to the sense of self (Vogt and Laureys, 2005) and is abnormally hyperactive in certain psychiatric conditions (Hamilton et al., 2011). On the other hand, enhanced Non-Judging relied also on increased neural network cross-talk and on an increased coupling of activity between the ACC, a key center of self-monitoring and other aspects of executive function (Kelly et al., 2009) and the MTL, a limbic region processing memory and emotion (Dolcos et al., 2004). "

• Like 1