The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
drpotato

How should i prepare and use cold pasteurized sugar cane mulch

not straw, mulch, as in partially composted leftovers that have been run through a sugar mill several times.

How do i go about cold pasteurizing it for use as a substrate for oyster?

I believe you need a specific device for cold pasteurization. It involves putting a tremendous amount of force on the material to kill bacteria. See Pascalization.

I've done it on the stove top with success plenty of times. Never got the courage to build something that could pasteurize large quantities of substrate before. I'm not techynickel enough.

i was referring to the chemical method, using hydrated lime and detergent, im not sure anyone actually uses pascalication for mycology.
  hydrated lime is only usable for substrates your going to spawn to heavily or colonize with very fast growing mushrooms like oyster because it causes a PH shock which only temporarily inhibits many microorganisms which arent outright killed.

Edited by drpotato

Ah okay, that's news to me. Found a few interesting articles with the google machine and learned a bit. Cheers.

I didn't think think people used pascalization either, it would probably take an expensive machine. Would be verrry cool to have one though.