The Corroboree
Sallubrious

SAB bogging down

Is anyone else experiencing slow loading times & sometimes failures ?

I am, sometimes it's that slow that I just give up and go somewhere else. The landing page sometimes lands without the skin and is presented as plain text & the styles don't load for over a minute. Sometimes sublinks just hang and need to be reloaded just to see them & sometimes that doesn't work either, it just hangs. I have an entry level NBN connection that works well almost everywhere else but this site runs at a snails pace 8 times out of ten. This even happens when there are only 2 or three members logged in & no guests. I could serve pages many times faster from a raspberry pi plugged into the NBN

I sniffed around a bit today and did a live traceroute (mtr) to see how it was being routed from me to the SAB server & I noticed a few servers along route with what can only be considered as having an unacceptable latency. One of the main offenders was a two bit, tin pot ,half arsed organisation - vocus which is notorious for crippling online games with its pathetic latency.

So I started to dig a bit deeper & did some whois queries into the servers along the route & things started to get interesting.

My traffic was slowing down as it entered the vocus network & then it was  routed to the UK, after that it was routed through Germany and then back to the UK before being forwarded to the SAB server through another OS server. Some of that routing is not entirely unusual but traffic leaving the UK (where it also slows down) falls outside of of UK privacy laws and only being http it's dubious to say the least.

It's getting that bad for me that the site is almost unusable more often than not. I wouldn't pay for server space with such high latncy.

Edited by Sallubrious

yeah i got a lot of laggy last night and had to restart loads , it does happen regularly but there are lag-free sessions,

I'm probably lucky to not be a sleepneeder and there's loads of times waiting just could'nt fit in the sched' but usually it's loaded by the time the cuppa n smoakl is ready.. one thing that i noticed since last night , although i've been offline for a week or so, is that whenuploading multiple images there is no image to see and then you have to label them using a black image as the clue if you forgot what order you uploaded in , only on album uploads but not so far on thread post image uploads.

Same. I've had some super laggy page loading, but I feel that might be more on my end? :huh:

Reset your modems and computers. Foreign users might experience some lag because a bunch of undersea fibre optic cables were severed around the world recently because of typhoons/hurricanes and earthquakes. This has meant that internet traffic is having to take a longer route and the routes that do work will experience a heavier load. Some of you gamers might have noticed this problem when trying to use non Australian gaming servers. 

• Like 2

It doesn't seem to be happening now, the route to the server is very similar with a few bottlenecks but load times have improved..There's still a several high latency hops at roughly 160 ms that really aren't that bad for forum browsing but it's usable now.

maybe it's just palemoon or it's theme or something , either way it's a godsend for glare reduction re: headache fodder

but the pics used to work when i frst switched to pale moon

on the subject of moons , Happy Moon!

2 hours ago, ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ said:

maybe it's just palemoon or it's theme or something , either way it's a godsend for glare reduction re: headache fodder

but the pics used to work when i frst switched to pale moon

on the subject of moons , Happy Moon!

Use f.lux on your computer and Twilight on your phone. They can be used to aid sleep but they're also great for those who suffer from headache disorders. 

• Like 2

The only time the server should be laggy is during back up and transfer time. back up is at midnight and goes for about an hour. It doesn't affect performance too much usually. But off site transfer (which starts after the back up) does slow it down a bit. It should not be as bad as described here though and I hope that was just temporary. I have not noticed any lag at all.

• Like 2