The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MagusTasmanicus

Mandrake - Mandragora autumnalis seeds

Hi, I have a couple of packs of 5 seeds each of this mandrake - even writing the name excites me!

Seeds were harvested this year (not by me, but soon I'll have plenty).

According to Hudson Grubber. “Growing the Hallucinogens: How to Cultivate and Harvest Legal Psychoactive Plants.” 

“It likes a light, deep soil, as the roots run far down. They will do poorly in a soil that is chalky or excessively gravelly. If the soil is too wet in winter, the roots will rot. It is propagated from seeds which should be sown in deep flats or, better, singly in pots. These should be kept well-watered and when they reach a good size they should be carefully set out at least 2 feet apart.”

I’d love to give them away (I am always trying to be a better person) and will do so, unless some kind individual has a spore print they would like to swap for my microscopy hobby (p.cube or sub would be great).

Stay cool.

• Like 4

I don't have any prints to offer but would be up to try and grow some ☺

• Like 1

All out of seeds for now - happy growing!

Might be able to get a few more soon from my 'witchy' friend - will keep Macca and Matagordamudskipper in mind. 

Stay cool.

Hi All, got a few more seeds to share.

4 lots of 5 (I reckon 5 seeds gives you the best chance of at least germinating one).

I'm always keen to swap for spore prints and preferably p.cube or sub for my microscopy hobby.

As before, I’ll cover postage.

I’m experimenting with pre-germination, stratification and direct sow. Be keen to see how others go.

Haven’t read all of this thread yet, but it looks interesting:

mandragora.thumb.jpg.926a4c8856c06232505357aee8d4dcfb.jpg Stay cool.

mandragora.thumb.jpg.926a4c8856c06232505357aee8d4dcfb.jpg

mandragora.thumb.jpg.926a4c8856c06232505357aee8d4dcfb.jpg

• Like 1

One of these years i'd love to grow Mandrake. and always meant to when i was in Tas.

happy to chat mycology with you some time.

• Like 1

Any 1 have germination? I had mine in the fridge cold stratification till last week just wondering if any one had any pop up yet?

cheers 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2017 at 4:17 PM, od101010 said:

Any 1 have germination? I had mine in the fridge cold stratification till last week just wondering if any one had any pop up yet?

cheers 

Not as yet mate - I believe some people sow them in peat, then cold stratify for several weeks until they sprout.

18 hours ago, squidgygoanna said:

PM'd

Still have a few seeds left - pm'd.

• Like 1

From past experience it may be getting too warm, if you don't get germination set the pots aside for a year. There's a chance of some autumn and more so after winter action.

Temperature fluctuation greatly influences them germinating. I found autumn a good time to sow, letting them sit winter out in the pots outdoors. That gave the most consistent results.

They slow up with the heat.

YMMV

• Like 1

19 hours ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

From past experience it may be getting too warm, if you don't get germination set the pots aside for a year. There's a chance of some autumn and more so after winter action.

Temperature fluctuation greatly influences them germinating. I found autumn a good time to sow, letting them sit winter out in the pots outdoors. That gave the most consistent results.

They slow up with the heat.

YMMV

Thanks waterboy 2.0.

I'm also a great believer in setting aside your pots if no growth has appeared.

Coincidently, last weekend I found that some Darlingtonia california seedlings have appeared after being seeded over 18 months ago (a first for me)!