The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pedropark

Id please on that bridgesii clone

Question

Hi guys,

bought that today and I am not sure if its clone A or anything else. Can you help me with that. Thanks.

IMG_20170826_205506.jpg

IMG_20170826_205445.jpg

IMG_20170826_205506.thumb.jpg.69c71db68a00432a477285ee5f739e81.jpg

IMG_20170826_205445.thumb.jpg.0c714a89bfc92921b25de23c1ec3bea5.jpg

IMG_20170826_205506.thumb.jpg.69c71db68a00432a477285ee5f739e81.jpg

IMG_20170826_205445.thumb.jpg.0c714a89bfc92921b25de23c1ec3bea5.jpg

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

cool plant! I'm not sure that it is clone A, or at least it looks very different to mine.... 

• Like 1

How are you so certain it's a clone.

I'm relatively new to cacti but i fail to see how people can recognize clones, i can't even recognize from wich plant i took my own cuttings without labelling them

• Like 1

Unless you know your cactus is a clone taken from a known mother plant, you can't be certain of anything.  

While certain clones for example Psycho0, Yowie, & Rosie all exhibit unique growth characteristics, they can still all exhibit phenotypic differences dependent upon the growth medium, geographic location, time spent in full sun, fertilizing regimes, age ect ect. Calling plants that look like clones, a clone, devalues the whole clone scene. 

In my opinion, TBM clone A and B is wishful thinking. In a decade or so when sequencing becomes cheaper, ill get all my tbms sequenced to compare, and i guarantee there will be more than 2 genotypes among my collection (which most would refer to as Clone A). That being said, if i'm wrong and there is only 2, i'd love to know who germinated the original clones and some of the history about how they spread across the world as they don't seem to be reported in the wild. However i'm pretty sure im right, one member on here traded me a tbm pup that pupped off the base of a wild type bridgesii, if that turns out to be the same genotype as clone A or B ill be extremely surprised. 

But back to the Pedroparks question, Yer it looks similar to what is commonly called Clone B in Australia 

• Like 3

Thank you all for your answers. I am new to this and it brought more light into it.

This plant was taken from an old motherplant at Kakteen Haage in germany.

If you call a plant a clone when its taken from a known mother plant, what means a known plant?

In my understanding a clone is taken just from a motherplant and is identical to it. Kakteen Haage did not have a name for the motherplant and I was searching for a closer ID and stepped over the clone a and b and c naming a I am confused with that A, b and c.

I have some plants from the wild without a name, taken from another person and I would call it a clone, but unknown, what makes it known? Just give it a name?

I have other clones, like “clone two“, motherplant collected in peru. Why is this a “real“ clone?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge guys.

• Like 1

That's why there should be a cultivar registration on this species. Here in oz we have gone a little over board with 'clone' names without any  real info on the breed history. Saying this I agree with change on this, there is a lot of strains of clone A in oz and a few rare clone B's...    Or vice versa, Lol 

Edited by smithy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Pedropark said:

If you call a plant a clone when its taken from a known mother plant, what means a known plant?

I mean like, if you buy your Rosei clone from Fields nursery, you know you're getting the real deal because that's where the mother originated. 

But if you buy it from ebay, anyone could have just named a fat blue peru Rosei, so you can't be sure its an actual clone of what its named. 

Your plant is a real clone, from the mother it was taken from, therefore calling it Clone B wouldn't be as accurate as calling it Kakteen Haage's Penis. 

I name all my dicks after their previous owners. However unless one is particularly unique, and i propagate it in large numbers and spread it into circulation under that name, it will never be a real clone name, just a nickname i've given it. 

Edited by Change
  • Like 1

You guys are great. I got it and understand, and thanks for clarifying this subject in detail.

I love it and @change, yes sometimes there are offerings and I was unsure if the  plants were labeled correct.

A lot of uncertainty until now for me. Now I have a better understanding.

I would love to find a database with clones and there history and it would be like having real ancestors in our garden if owning old clones/plants.

Is there a source or database available anywhere you know guys? 

There's a big problem also with semi monstrose TB's in oz. A lot of them are been sold as seperate clones. Examples are, Melted wax, Alko, Anna,Tripitaka, sina and so on.  some of these clones are the same but a few are different crosses of bridgesii...  I just name the unknown ones as semi monstroses.  a few like kai and bruce are very recognisable.

Edited by smithy
  • Like 1