The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Planting out a Labarynth to the Heart? Native plant resonances to use?

So if you were going to plant out a labyrinth to the Heart with Australian Natives, what would be some good plant additions? Looking at compiling a list. Eremophila, Boronia, Crowea and Lobelia and small Acacias are on my list. What are some high vibrational small native plants that you'd recommend? Any input welcomed.

Sandalwood, santalum spicatum for sure. I prefer it over quandong (S. acuminata) in looks and 'spirit' (only slightly, I like them both very much - quandong is less suitable for smaller gardens growing larger and faster). Sandalwood will grow into an elegant small tree with bluish foliage and produce fruit with an edible hard seed in about 3 years. I guess in 30-50 years it might become a medium-sized tree but is manageable in a small space. The heartwood will produce sandalwood oil within about 10-15 years. These used to grow from north of Adelaide right across to shark bay but were almost eradicated by unregulated harvesting for sandalwood oil in the early 20th century, millions of trees were removed roots and all. Santalum are semi-parasitic, getting water with their own roots but nutrients from host trees, which are typically acacias, she-oak and grasses, they can't really be planted as a hedge for this reason. A. acuminata is the common host where sandalwood is grown commercially in plantations because it is long-lived. In a small garden with no time to establish acuminata or other host trees (2-3 years before you plant the sandalwood near them), go to stateflora, buy yourself a tube of sandalwood and a tube of myoporum parviflora(um?) (a hardy groundcover) and plant them in the same hole so that the roots are almost already in contact. The sandalwood will use the myoporum as a host almost straight away. You could plant now and grow over summer with supplementary watering. Because they use so little resources (water, nutrients) they can grow beautifully within and among other native plants. Old hardwood can be carved. Ring stateflora first as they only have sandalwood sporadically, but you could also go for a quandong. There is a documentary that regularly pops up on NITV called 'Tribal Scent' which shows the relation of WA aboriginal people with sandalwood including its commercial use. Adding quandongs and sandalwood to my garden has augmented it wonderfully and with very little fail-rate, with many of them fruiting regularly. A must in any native garden but if your garden is small, one (of each) will be enough due to the parasitism. Cactus are also excellent hosts.

• Like 3

Sounds really cool but, what is a labyrinth to the heart exactly? Is it a maze with a tiny garden in the middle? That would be really pretty with natives.

I have recently seen a nice hedge made of salt bush, I don't even know which species it was but it hedged perfectly, they are very drought hardy, and easily grown from cuttings. Also the grey green foliage would make a nice backdrop for all the colourful flowers. They can also live for a really long time.

Dang, I might have to make one too LOL please elaborate on your ideas :)

perhaps also Prostanthera sp., mentha australis, Crotalaria cunninghamii, Cymbopogon ambiguus, Sturt Desert Pea, Nulla Nulla, Kennedia prostrata, Scaevola spinescens, Enchylaena tomentosa.....

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 10:12 AM, Halcyon Daze said:

Sounds really cool but, what is a labyrinth to the heart exactly? Is it a maze with a tiny garden in the middle? That would be really pretty with natives.

I have recently seen a nice hedge made of salt bush, I don't even know which species it was but it hedged perfectly, they are very drought hardy, and easily grown from cuttings. Also the grey green foliage would make a nice backdrop for all the colourful flowers. They can also live for a really long time.

Dang, I might have to make one too LOL please elaborate on your ideas :)

For me, it a journey through the chakras. Dying to the ego and dominant mind, being born to the Heart. Dying to primal root chakra needs into activating higher love, spiritual love. Try and come up with some better explanations soon

• Like 2

Start with pioneer plants and work your way to a rainforest. Your journey will only be complete when an Albert's lyrebird breaks the pre-dawn silence for the first time.

Don't take me too seriously brah.

• Like 1

Is this imageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835JB110_13_Cacti_labyrinth_at_Obesa_nursery_with_man_walking_through.thumb.jpg.31554e3399b07f4cd8b9cd1dc5762154.jpgwhat ya'll are taking about?

JB110_13_Cacti_labyrinth_at_Obesa_nursery_with_man_walking_through.thumb.jpg.31554e3399b07f4cd8b9cd1dc5762154.jpg

JB110_13_Cacti_labyrinth_at_Obesa_nursery_with_man_walking_through.thumb.jpg.31554e3399b07f4cd8b9cd1dc5762154.jpg

• Like 3