The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
small_rabbit

Biosynthesis of The Psychoactive Drug Psilocybin

This work clearly sets the stage for bioengineered psilocybin production and/or for analogs that may serve as compelling alternatives to existing synthetic strategies.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/95/web/2017/08/Magic-mushroomenzyme-mystery-solved.html

Does the biosynthesis have the potential to increase psilocybin based medical research?

• Like 2

Frankencybin? :huh: 

its just a way of making money for something that is available for free in the wild. Why fuck with mother natures perfected make up?

• Like 2

^idunno what you mean by "mother nature", so im going to assume that's your creative way of referring to evolution.  

Biochemical processes generated via hundreds and thousands of years of evolution are often times extremely far from perfect. 

I also struggle to see who would be able to profit from a biosynthesis. 

21 hours ago, small_rabbit said:

Does the biosynthesis have the potential to increase psilocybin based medical research?

Doubtful, scientist have been able to synthesize psilocybin for quite some time now. The novelty associated with this innovation is that its a biosynthesis, using enzymes instead of a chemical synthesis.  Even if it does not increase medical psilocybin research, its fantastic to see that researchers are working on increasing our understanding of this complex enzymatic process.   

• Like 5

I believe there is a mind and spirit driving the will of evolution... call it mother nature, gaia, what be it... mother nature seems a fitting title seemings we depend on her for all we need to thrive.... creatively or spiritually of course... cant remove all the mystery :P

I agree that the focus on understanding the process is great...im also an advocate for just being in awe at how these compounds came to be so naturally abundant and so conveniently placed in our food chain.... almost as a mother would.... haha...

Maybe once we understand the processes of these enzymes and their nature we may understand that there is ultimately a force or spirit behind all of it.... and bring us full circle back to being content with awe haha...

Hoffmeister made me chuckle....haha :D

" Making large scale production a possibility" ??

I dunno about you guys but i reckon theres a pretty large scale of natural psilocybin ready to go! No production needed!.... On top of the already mentioned chemical synthesis haha..

Odd... funny how we put these silly abstract hurdles in the way of our own evolution..... almost as if theres some kind of conspiracy at play here....

Haha :P

• Like 1

i read this article today - didn't understand the fuss coz I was sure Sandoz was synthesizing years ago.  thanks for the concise explanation @Change

it's a bit of a meh moment for me, but sure is nice to suddenly see positive articles about psychedelics in mainstream media.

• Like 2