The Corroboree
stona86

button graft help

Idk man, i'm pretty knew to cacti but this one looks healthy to me.

If it's mites you should be able to spot them i believe...in wich case i'd probably get me some predatory mites, dust with cinnamon/sulphur or maybe rosemary oil (supposedly doesn't kill good mites)

I'd be surprised if the light spot on the side is mite damage still. Seems like a a bit of a long walk to where it's sleeping

• Like 1

On another note so I don't have to start another post can someone tell me what this silver/white shit is on my Peres? As I've grafted a unknown possible psycho0 seedling to it and worried it will screw up the scion..

1502602673320.jpg

1502602707539.jpg

1502602725864.jpg

1502602673320.thumb.jpg.6fdf74a0ae48da549431f2af2ab4f803.jpg

1502602707539.thumb.jpg.9ce80c36c0144aa9d3e8e752db99f190.jpg

1502602725864.thumb.jpg.e9409cc21978501d5c4dd389e6253ac0.jpg

1502602673320.thumb.jpg.6fdf74a0ae48da549431f2af2ab4f803.jpg

1502602707539.thumb.jpg.9ce80c36c0144aa9d3e8e752db99f190.jpg

1502602725864.thumb.jpg.e9409cc21978501d5c4dd389e6253ac0.jpg

That doesn't look too bad - are you sure it's not just variegation?

I had white patches appearing on some cacti awhile back - turned out to be something called "salt lock" or "nutrient lockout". I flushed the pots & replaced the media on the worst affected ones - and also stopped using salt ferts - they all recovered quickly and it hasn't happened again.

• Like 1

Not RSM damage, probably just a natural blemish of no significance - after all , is YOUR skin as smooth as a baby´s  butt? 

But what I do find of concern - and am surprised that NOBODY else has picked up on it - is your earlier comment, stona86, that you have bugs flying about and crawling in the soil.  To any experienced grower that cries out ONE thing only - SCIARID FLY - sometimes called fungus gnats.  They will not harm the skin (not at first) but will eat away your roots.  SORT THAT SOONEST.

Edited by Spanishfly
  • Like 1

also I think that "white shit" on your peres is just some of their waxy cuticle peeling off - I don't have alot of experience growing them, but I thought it was just like trees shedding bark - not usually anything to worry about. The older plants get more woody-looking stems, so I think the white crackly/peeling skin is just an intermediate stage to that.

• Like 3

Thanks guys much appreciated. Yeah your right in regards to salt build up as I have very salty water as we have water softner which uses salt to softnen the water as it limestone naturaly in this area so I have a constant issue of when I mist my other plants I have salt build up on leafs after the water evaps. To be honest that waxy layer I actually thought was salt build up this whole time not a natural layer it produces. Yeah it's smooth as silk.. That would be cool if it turned out variegated.  Also the bugs I've seen where not on the loph graft its just i sprayed the plants and seen them only once though its not like ive noticed them again so i think they just flew in the grow area towards the light n that. 

So ill do that ill flush and see how she goes.. My ph is 7 here , should i lower it? And my ppm of tap water is 204ppm

4 hours ago, Spanishfly said:

Not RSM damage, probably just a natural blemish of no significance - after all , is YOUR skin as smooth as a baby´s  butt? 

But what I do find of concern - and am surprised that NOBODY else has picked up on it - is your earlier comment, stona86, that you have bugs flying about and crawling in the soil.  To any experienced grower that cries out ONE thing only - SCIARID FLY - sometimes called fungus gnats.  They will not harm the skin (not at first) but will eat away your roots.  SORT THAT SOONEST.

I'm not convinced they readily feast on healthy roots, thinking they need to be in mass and starving to mess with healthy roots.

I havent read up that much though so i could be wrong

Got the same issue with mine, and mite damage is the likely cause.  I have used diluted neem oil and dawn dishsoap to stop it and seems to be working.

I don't see any damage on the pics mate, are you talking about the reddish tint the loph is getting? If so that's perfectly normal for a graft, the increased growth speed does that.

Or is it the two little yellowish spots that you're worried about? This could be a nitrogen burn I've had it on trichos.

If that's not what you're talking about I would still just wait and watch it closely to see if it gets worse, but don't degraft or nothing crazy it doesn't seem to be in danger at all.

• Like 1

Thanks bro yeah it ended up nitrogren burn as I transplanted to a smaller pot and flushed it and its came back all good . thanks heaps guys for the solid info

N yeah mean green it was the two yellow dots which had me worried man. 

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:27 PM, stona86 said:

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, DualWieldRake said:

I'm not convinced they readily feast on healthy roots, thinking they need to be in mass and starving to mess with healthy roots.

I havent read up that much though so i could be wrong

You are dead wrong.  Some years ago I noticed some little flies buzzing around some cacti I had at work.  I picked up a (supposedly) healthy adult  Mammilaria, and the top of the plant just fell off - showing the roots eaten away by a squirming mass of horrid white grubs.  My first encounter with this nasty pest.

Edited by Spanishfly
  • Like 1