The Corroboree
oncewhywechange

My lovely little paradise

1 hour ago, bogfrog said:

love your garden Smithy, awesome work I'm sure a whole lotta time and effort went into that but the payoff in terms of beauty, enjoyment and rejuvination is 10-fold :wub:

Thanks very much bogfrog, It took many years of hard work to finally buy a good block of land but it's a must if you want a epic garden ..:lol:

• Like 2

just checked this, awesome thread and garden, lots of special plants. 

I have never seen red scale and I honestly thought and read about it too that Ephedras have no real enemies except the occasional goat for wild plants or (my own experience)  small snail damage at small seedlings. 

I would love to see more pictures of that sinica and also hear about how you came to grow this plant, how old it is, and also notes on its yearly circle. My experience says that the hot summer period is the most tricky to go through, and they might need extra shading during that time. 

On 08/01/2018 at 8:23 PM, sagiXsagi said:

just checked this, awesome thread and garden, lots of special plants. 

I have never seen red scale and I honestly thought and read about it too that Ephedras have no real enemies except the occasional goat for wild plants or (my own experience)  small snail damage at small seedlings. 

I would love to see more pictures of that sinica and also hear about how you came to grow this plant, how old it is, and also notes on its yearly circle. My experience says that the hot summer period is the most tricky to go through, and they might need extra shading during that time. 

Thank you, The plant is around three years old from a cutting. I grow a lot of citrus so the scale can move from the orchard to the cactus garden.  

You are right about the hot summers, it is very humid and wet here so I grow mine in pots so I can move them around throughout the year.   I will upload a few pictures of my different species in the next couple of days for you.

7 hours ago, smithy said:

You are right about the hot summers, it is very humid and wet here so I grow mine in pots so I can move them around throughout the year.   I will upload a few pictures of my different species in the next couple of days for you.

with one exception, I am talking very dry and not humid summer, and since I am in western hemisphere I would imagine the growing circle is reversed. The way I see it, plant rests at the hottest/dryiest period when it screams for a shadier place and grows the rest of the year . at least that's what they seem to do here. 

hey, there's also this dedicated to Ephedra thread here

maybe you'd like to add pics and notes there. mid 2017 there was an attempt to assemble a small team of amateur researchers to compile info and notes on plants that we are missing deatails, especially cultivation notes. PM me if you are interested, or contribute your Ephedra notes in that thread. Its a good thread I dare to say. 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 1

Nice ball, and phyllodes :drool2:

Your carrots look somewhat smallish though (but beautifull color)

Edited by DualWieldRake
  • Like 1