The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
emcat

Reagents for TLC (lichenology)?

Hi,

I've recently developed an interest in lichens but found you really need to use TLC to ID to species level. While I have used TLC before at uni, I don't really have access to their labs for this. It's easy enough to buy silica sheets for TLC but the reagents are a bit more difficult. Mainly because they need to be bought from lab supply shops that don't generally sell to individuals. At the moment reagent C is really the only one that seems easily obtainable. Was wondering if anyone might be able to give advice on where/how these might be obtained (legally)? The list is below.

Cheers

A toluene / dioxane / acetic acid (180 : 45 : 5)

Dioxane in solvent A is hygroscopic and absorbs water over time. The solvent thus rapidly deteriorates and accurate Rf-values can only be recorded with relatively fresh solvent.

B hexane / diethyl ether / formic acid (130 : 80 : 20)

This solvent has largely been replaced by B'. B will deteriorate in less than 6 hours whereas B' can be used up to four or five days.

B' hexane / methyl tert-butlyl ether / formic acid (140 : 72 : 18)

C toluene / acetic acid (170 : 30)

For most lichen substances C provides the best discrimination. It is also very stable (several weeks) and therefore is the most common solvent routinely used.

Solvents E and G are mostly used only to discriminate substances which will otherwise not be resolved very well:

E cyclohexane / ethyl acetate (75 : 25)

Solvent E discriminates between non-polar derivates of lichen compounds and substances which have very high Rf-values in A, B, B' and C. It needs to be prepared fresh daily.

G toluene / ethyl acetate / formic acid (139 : 83 : 8)

Solvent G is very stable and discriminates well between substances with very low Rf-values in A, B, B' and C.