The Corroboree
od101010

Pere Cuttings

Sounds like someone wants to do some grafting. My only question since this whole thing is sorted is will you be making some seedling grafts, areole grafts, or... enquiring minds want to know. Wish you good skill in your endeavor.

Yeah Thanks to AD im keen as a bean for some seedling grafts tons of seedlings started and just ordered some of zellys cross's ;)

Just need the pere's to kick into overdrive and pump out some shoots ;) so far there sucking up the water only one is showing signs of growth tips so far..... come on hurry up ;)

Edited by od101010

Zelly has some amazing crosses. These seedlings are all from Zelly's seeds and all were grafted on a cutting that was not rooted.

tripleplay2.jpg

tripleplay2.thumb.jpg.996c2fafb211fff2c03d674a09d2953f.jpg

tripleplay2.thumb.jpg.996c2fafb211fff2c03d674a09d2953f.jpg

Nice work the side grafts are a wedge style?

Once i get some shoots i'll try both rooted and un-rooted experiment.

Would you believe the bloody cat ate the fresh tips that was just starting last night hope she got pricked and doesn't go back for 2nds tonight ;)

Once these get out of dormancy aka as we roll more into spring weather they should start going crazy? or the more the better?

Thanks AD might hit you up i have another option & i'm spewing i didn't think of it until i was driving home from my old's last weekend but there is a poop load of wild opuntia where they live (i can see why it's an invasive weed) every 3rd-4th tree had one growing on it in the bush stupid thing i told dad i wanted to try the fruit so we went for a walk (to early for fruit by the looks) but i was there if i had of though of it i would have grab a bunch to play with.

I did a quick search seems some people have better success then others with it and it might be species related but it's ready to go and plenty of it.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:30 PM, od101010 said:

Nice work the side grafts are a wedge style?

Once i get some shoots i'll try both rooted and un-rooted experiment.

I select all my seedlings I want to graft and put them in cups of water, shot glasses, etc. to soak for 30 minutes before I make a graft like this. I make all my vertical cuts for a graft like this next. I start cutting just above the spines and stop just below them I then make my horizontal cuts last by cutting directly underneath the last spine. I then remove each wedge of tissue and quickly make my seedling cuts trying to give as large a surface area as possible while retaining as much tissue as possible as well. This usually entails me cutting the bottom portion closest to the roots but the most swollen. From there, I simply place the seedling where the wedge of tissue has been removed at the bottom. I then slide the seedling up just a bit so the ledge or seat is not touching the seedling. I find that sometimes the ledge will grab ahold of the seedling as it dries out and pull the seedling just far enough from the stock that the graft will not take. It is best to use an actively growing stock in my opinion if your plan on grafting seedlings or areoles to  areoles like this. As long as that is taken care of and you don't water either for a few days until the wounds have dried and calloused over then you should find good success with this method. It never hurts to make a humidity dome either to keep this type of graft in if your weather is not too humid. I use plastic bottles for such which are nice given that you can slowly change the humidity by loosening and removing the cap. A cut into the side of the bottle is of course needed to enable the graft to be placed inside which I tape up so I don't have to worry about it.

• Like 1