The Corroboree
Dicko

Pain relief plants

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:10 AM, Dicko said:

The scans didnt show a great deal apparently, the doc reckons its an inflamed bursa and tendon. But that shouldnt be causing the nerve tingle/itchy/pins and needles, the doc said we will treat the first problem and see if it fixes the rest.

Hey Dicko. Ultrasound and x-ray are the first step in looking at shoulder issues like yours. Unfortunately, most radiologists will recommend a steroid injection to bursa or rotator cuff regardless of whether any pathology or trauma is seen, because it's a good money spinner and they get a certain percentage of good results. If the doc reckons its inflamed bursa or tendonitis, even a mediocre sonographer will demonstrate this easily. A good sonographer will be able to give a comprehensive scan of the shoulder in 15 to 20 mins, the better ones do them in 10 min. CT scan is of little value looking at shoulder issues unless you want to exclude bone trauma or pathology. MRI is the most sensitive, but has limitations as described by Sal. It's often used for diagnosis as complimentary imaging with ultrasound and for surgical planning.

Steroid injections in the shoulder sometimes work and sometimes don't. Sometimes if they give short term relief, a 2nd injection at about a month after the first can have more success. The steroid used is usually a chemical copy (called cortisone or celestone) of the stress-response hormone called cortisol produced by the adrenal gland. Amongst many other functions, the body's cortisol helps mediate the body's inflammatory response due to the associated pain.

The level of success of the injections varies widely from complete pain relief to no result. It is also very much dependent upon the person performing the procedure. 

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:10 AM, Dicko said:

The pain and inflamation went away for a while after the shots but the nerve issue remained.

Your pins and needles/tingling symptoms certainly describe a response to nerve irritation. The degeneration in the shoulder can indeed give these symptoms, but the inflammation itself rarely does. Another candidate for the cause of the nerve symptoms, and possible some of the shoulder's, is in your neck. The 6th, 7th, 8th cervical nerves and the 1st thoracic nerve all distribute sensation to the upper limb. The location (on the arm) of the symtoms gives an indication of which level/s may be involved. Often when patients complain of shoulder problems, these nerves contribute to the condition, so isolating the cause to shoulder joint, bursae, rotator cuff etc doesn't take care of (all) the issue. Clinicians sometimes fail to consider problems originating in the cervical spine and clinically you could be describing both shoulder and neck symtoms. If you are inclined to, you could ask your doctor if it was worth getting a CT scan on your neck to exclude degeneration and nerve irritation at the levels I mentioned. Your description of aggravating the problem by turning, reaching and picking something up may also indicate involvement in the neck, especially if it resulted in any change in the nerve symptoms. 

I definitely think you've a better chance of finding help for the pain and resolving your shoulder troubles looking at the suggestions in this thread. I'm in awe of wealth of knowledge here. If you haven't already, consider nutrition and recognizing both emotional and physical stressors to give your body the best chance of being in a state of homeostasis.

Mate, feel free to pm me if you think there is anything I may be able to help with..
  • Like 1

@Smiling  i hope you find something that works for your pain. I know how it can effect your whole life. I had to stop taking oxy and lyrica also because i didnt like the space it put me. They were very effective though.

Have you seen a physio or tried yoga?