The Corroboree
saylor twift

HOME INSURANCE

hey guys n gals,

This maybe applicable to some of you and you may not even realise.. so please tell others about this aswell..

I moved back home with my parents over a year ago after some personal problems with ice,  long story short i came home with some convictions..nothing drug related, mainly violence, besides the point.

Mum's been paying the home insurance thinking everything is fine when in fact we may not have even been covered at all... 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/feb/01/home-insurance-family-finance-criminal

after speaking with the insurance company for the last few days they have decided they wont cover my Mum and Dad's house because im living here with a criminal record...accroding to them its too high risk for them to cover the house anymore...had Mum not found this clause in the agreement they would have happily kept taking money and if something were to happen to the house theyd have a perfectly legal loophole to bend us over...now there is the problem of needing the insurance for the home loan... major dramas. I hope someone reads this and maybe you can save yourselves the heartbreak of not being able to claim anything because of this clause.. if anyone has any advice or anything to add please leave a reply 

thanks for your time 

cheers

Saylor

• Like 2

Insurance companies will try every scumbag tactic to not pay. Even in very clear cut claims, they will try to screw you at every turn.

Play the game, never get frustrated with them and call them EVERY day. Even if you have nothing to say. The more time you cost them, the more tired they become of their own game.

Be prepared to wait (6-12months) because it's another tactic. Be sure you cost them money every day they don't pay your claim - call them, email them, visit them in the store. Time is money.

If you're living with your parents, you are a caretaker or something other than a renter or boarder - no money is involved.

Never tell an insurance company more than they need to know. They have too much access to information (including metadata....) so don't make it easier for them (they make nothing easy for you). Be political, be polite and never give up.

• Like 2

thanks man, youre totally right..we've been through it all before under different circumstances, so the game isnt new 

it doesnt matter if you're a caretaker/renter/boarder .  the landlord even has to disclose if a tenant has even had a police warning... 

time is also something we don't have... we are insured for 7 days at wich point being un-insured will affect the home loan... 

also not telling them is kinda the problem here? if you do tell them, your'e fucked... if you dont, you're fucked. i get what you're saying though i dont give up any information i dont absolutely need to for the most part

feelsbadman

thanks for your kind words and support

I'm curious, is this in australia? the article linked is obviously uk based. 

And for the record, i think insurance co's are hilarious.

I find any system that will inevitably destroy itself while denying that can ever possibly happen most entertaining.  

this is in oz.. i realise the linked article isnt local but its basically the same here... 

i cant wait!, ill be laughing with u! 

I had a similar issue trying to insure a flash car.

was not able to insure the car due to a recent conviction, had all our shit insured with this company for a number of years, the insurance company had themselves a little meeting and decided that they would insure the vehicle after all as the offence that attracted the conviction though meaty wasn't too serious. We then had them confirm that this approval covers any policies we have with them.

Its good that your mum found the clause in the fine print Saylor.

• Like 1

far out spooge... id almost want to sit in on one of these said meetings just to hear what goes on,

i for one am tired of feeling judged at every turn by other humans for simply tying to do right and live... 

pretty wrapped mum found it, i hope everyone here this is applicable to is aware.. id hate for one of the SAB community to come across this info too late...

anyway, we sussed another insurer and the policy is better it just costs a little extra..

definitely could have done without the stress. 

much love guys.... be safe