The Corroboree
freakazoid

Would you say the act of smoking a cigarette is masculine or feminine?

So I'm chilling and thinking about it and thought I'd ask others opinions. There's various angles to look at e.g. Ciggie/penis mouth/vagina and Freud drops his mike or maybe it's masculine like RARH! I am Man (or masculine aspect of Woman) I will crush up this plant and burn it! And inhale it into me! Roar! Stomp stomp *cough*

I could bounce around all night ( just might ) 

and then there's the deities of the said cigarette involved.

• Like 1

Fire and air are commonly considered masculine elements unlike earth and water.

Some say the oral fixation is like sucking on a dick but then a dick doesnt have an opening on the other side, so sucking on a cigarette is different than sucking on a dick or for instance, a door handle.

In my opinion assigning gender where there is arguably none gives arbitrary results.  Yes, it is nice to divide things off into pairs to help categorise or create some framework for answering further problems, and male/female is an especially versatile dualism, but the quality you assign to an action or object has no effect on it, except in your mind.  Is that what you're asking?  In that case the obvious answer is that the cigarette phallic so smoking is feminine, but if you're a male that would make smoking gay.... And yet if i gave my impression, it would be that smoking invokes an enhanced (hetero)sexuality, eg smoking is an adult behaviour, hedonistic, social, visceral.. All point to sexuality.

I read somewhere that in earlier times, let's say Napoleon's europe, pink was considered aggressive and therefore hypermasculine.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, ThunderIdeal said:

is like sucking on a dick but then a dick doesnt have an opening on the other side, 

Well, depending on how ya look at it some might say that a dick does have a opening on the other side and this is where a man keeps his.... man magic, life essence, inner self e.t.c but then you are creating the spark that allows the magic to happen 

now I'll go read the rest of your post

Edited by freakazoid

i think the best way to look at it would be to observe the effects of the alkaloids. I would say nicotine is masculine. Smoking a spliff is definitely feminine...

Have you ever ventured into David Deida's work @freakazoid

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, freakazoid said:

Well, depending on how ya look at it some might say that a dick does have a opening on the other side and this is where a man keeps his.... man magic, life essence, inner self e.t.c but then you are creating the spark that allows the magic to happen 

now I'll go read the rest of your post

It does not yield to perfect suction except during ejaculation if you'd like to compare the plume of white smoke to a wad.  Alas, at this point i personally think its ridiculous to carry on assigning such meaning (arbitrarily) where it doesnt actually exist and you can be sure your own intepretation will be one among many possible interpretations.

• Like 1

I like sharing many possible interpretations. It helps.

• Like 1

would you say the act of blinking is masculine or feminine?  what about scratching your bum or turning on a light switch?

• Like 1

The eyelashes and the anus are both definitely erogenous zones but yes, I agree, assigning them gender is a rabbit hole. And thus, cigarettes also.

but I'm tempted to, at some point in the future spam my own thread with stand up comic YouTube vids talking about nicotine like it's a bitch.

Edited by freakazoid
  • Like 1

M24. Tereno. "The origin of tobacco" (Levi-Strauss Mythologiques Vol. 1 1969, p. 100)

There was a woman who was a sorceress. She defiled caraguata plants (a Bromeliacex [sic], the central leaves of which are specked with red at the base) with menstrual blood and then served the plants to her husband as food. The husband, having been told about this by his son, announced that he was going into the bush to look for honey.

After knocking the soles of his leather sandals together "to find honey more easily," he discovered a hive at the bottom of a tree and snake near by. He kept the pure honey for his son, and for his wife he prepared a mixture composed of honey and the flesh of snake embryos taken from the belly of the one he had killed.

No sooner had the woman begun to eat her portion than her body started to itch. As she scratched herself, she announced to her husband that she was about to devour him. He ran away and climbed to the top of a tree where there was a parrot's nest. He kept the ogress quiet temporarily by throwing to her the three nestlings, one after the other. While she was chasing the largest which was trying to flutter away from her, the husband ran off in the direction of a pit that he himself had dug for the purpose of catching game. He avoided the pit, but the woman fell into it and was killed.

The man filled in the hole and kept watch over it. An unknown plant eventually sprouted there. Out of curiosity the man dried the leaves in the sun; at nightfall he smoked in great secret. His companions caught him at it and asked what he was doing. Thus it was that men came to have tobacco (original in Baldus 3, pp. 220; 4, p.133.).

Here a woman is dominant over man by the power of menstruation; she had the power to devour him but he tricks her, kills her and tobacco is given for man. The original 'natural' relationship (women over man, tobacco is of the earth/feminine) is transformed into a cultural relationship (man over women, dried and smoked tobacco is of culture/masculine), tobacco comes from woman as a natural product but later mediates the relationship of male dominance over women as a cultural product (in Tereno society). 'Giving' gender to objects is more subtle and important than it appears.

Any assigning of gender more than as a biological necessity (that is, as symbolism) is cultural (you might argue even biological classification is cultural!). I think others covered that point pretty well above. But I don't think it is arbitrary exactly, nor a rabbit hole within each cultural system, because the gendering of each object is part of total system of categorization of the world in each social formation. In every case the assigning of gender to objects and processes will have some etiology or background conceptual rigidity within the system of the cultural formation in question. That's how culture makes the world, but pluralism is the rule. You can chase pluralism down the proverbial rabbit hole and succeed in an understanding of how and why objects are consistently provided gender by humanity, particularly in mythic thought. TI noted this in the idea of the vitality of dualism, of which human thought makes use to produce a stable reality.

Edited by Micromegas
  • Like 5

smoking cigs feel feminine to me

- I guess I just seen more females smoking them than men all my life?

however cigars and pipes feel only masculine ..

reefers feel masculine too since it's mainly very masculine people I have seen toak'n to form my particular view

- even the females that partook in said toakl [even if not masculine by aesthetic]

.. although usually the construction aspects of said reef can be conveyed to the more masculine females more easily than the very few and much rarer feminine females , some more than others ..

usually the ones who genuinely want to know and really care to learn as opposed to those who will purposefully engage and pretend to want to for an opportunity to show how bad they are at it so as to not be considered for the project again (much like how almost all females IME do with.. say: washing their own dinner pots) yet still find it within themselves to point out any perceived imperfections or flaws on other's work which appears to be the only correlation between the 2 examples ..

Perhaps this is regional variation I witnessed though?

Because, having said that, I've only seen cigars rolled by Cuban women and they didn't fk about ..

but perhaps due to my local experience perceptions, it still didn't look masculine or feminine watching her smoakl it.

But still looked fluid and naturally done as if 2nd nature.

and,.

really digging Micromegas' post a lot what a gorgeous read and easily the best thing I ever read about tobacco.

• Like 1

for some reason the toaking spirits

(and for that matter most smoken herbs that revealed - not tobacco yet tho but other nightshades for sure)

are always in female form when unveiled and aptly coloured too.

e.g.  lime green for mary, electric lilac for D' metel and S' dulcamara combo, forest pastel green and paler gold for white aya, lava orange for B' sanguinea and B' [unknown with pink flower] combo etc..

Their breasts are really impeccable :) and their torso .. never see any legs tho but gravity defying hair made of light is seriously commendable show.

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
to add an s to the end of breast

Smoking is the act of a fuckin druggo mate :huh:

• Like 1

*draaaaw*

(withholding breath in speech)"Yeah, nah, nah, yeah, nah, I fuck'n hate druggos, they're all sick cunts ,'eh! They're fucked up. I think we should just get rid of them. When I see one of them druggos, I just wanna punch em....in the head."

"heaps"

Edited by freakazoid
  • Like 1

In french it's feminine, as are drugs... the frogs seem to have it down on these masculine/feminine nuances.

It was seen as unladylike to smoke in public in America, coming out of the Second World War, but in the 50's cigarette companies decided to change public perceptions with billboards of nubile young lass's saying how much smoking makes them feel ladylike they love a man who smokes with them,sigh!pant! and then there were women in bathing suits selling boxes of cigs on the street corner or at the baseball game.

stay classy big tobacco :wink:

Edited by freakazoid
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, freakazoid said:

A Fuken druggo.

IMG_0989.PNG

_20171029_115507.JPG

_20171029_115507.JPG

_20171029_115507.JPG

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 5

Yeah, nah, yeah mate.:wink:

I smoke so it’s feminine :wink:

Nah, I like seeing men smoke as well so I personally can’t categorise it as either. It can depend on how you hold the cigarette AND how you ash though..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GypsyLee said:

I smoke so it’s feminine :wink:

Nah, I like seeing men smoke as well so I personally can’t categorise it as either. It can depend on how you hold the cigarette AND how you ash though..

So if you hold up a pinky whilst ashing it's feminine? :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Northerner said:

So if you hold up a pinky whilst ashing it's feminine? :lol:

Yes, but I men do it, it could sometimes be circumstantially considered effeminate. 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2017 at 2:36 PM, paradox said:

would you say the act of blinking is masculine or feminine?  what about scratching your bum or turning on a light switch?

blinking is done a lot more by females and .. er .. the feminine  in my experience

turning off the light switch is more masculine than feminine however ..

.. turning it on seems to be more of a masculine thing IME too.

scratching bum especially the hole area appears on face value to be feminine but surely everyone scratches itches wherever they are , maybe some more publicly than others .. probably has regional variations affecting it too ;)

49 minutes ago, ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ said:

blinking is done a lot more by females and .. er .. the feminine  in my experience

turning off the light switch is more masculine than feminine however ..

.. turning it on seems to be more of a masculine thing IME too.

scratching bum especially the hole area appears on face value to be feminine but surely everyone scratches itches wherever they are , maybe some more publicly than others .. probably has regional variations affecting it too ;)

Thunder, I regard you as a great sage and a local authority extrapolating and exploring the male/female constructs and dynamics.

• Like 1

I never thought of it as a gendered thing - either when I was smoking 10 years ago, or now when I see someone else smoking. I did always think of it as a sort of symbolic rebellion that cut across masculine & feminine:

"Why do you smoke? "

"Because fuck you, that's why."

This isn't just doing the opposite of what your parents/teachers/doctors etc. tell you to do (or not do), but as a hedonistic repudiation of the supposed Kantian duty to live - though I couldn't really articulate it at the time. 

• Like 4