The Corroboree
Northerner

Acacia that suits my tropical location

Hi,

It's my first post here... I would do an introduction or something but there doesn't seem to be a forum for that. Just to say I'm a very happy grower of many interesting plants and am glad to be here. :)

Recently I've been looking at adding some acacia to my garden in mind to harvest sustainably over years in the future. What I'm finding though is most acacias besides simplex prefer cooler/drier areas. Simplex provides some challenges after harvest, so I am looking for some advice on other acacias that will grow well and happy in my area. My latitude is between 17°-18°S and I'm on the coast. My soil type is fairly loamy on top with reddish clay deep underneath.

I considered for a while adding M. Hostilis, but there are so many more beautiful trees natively that require less destructive harvesting. It's just finding the right one for me.

Any advice on what would be suitable for my area would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Blue Eclipse
  • Like 3

I think I've heard that Psychotria Virdis might grow well in QLD.

An acacia to look out for is 'courtii' also,
Its supposed to be an excellent sustainable harvester with plenty of lush green foliage & grows well in most conditions.

Welcome to the forums Northerner, we'd love to see some pix of your interesting plant collection. Good luck with your quest for quality acacias.
There is a member on here that specializes in acacia cultivation, his name is @communacacian he'd be your best bet to ask any questions too.
I've purchased many Acuminata & Courtii from him in the past, all beautiful thriving inoculated specimens. I highly recommend.  :)

• Like 6

Hey,natives like blunt leaf and maidenii will grow well,  confusa is a good non native for your climate. loves the humidity and water but remember it can get weedy ,fast !!.   courtii will struggle with humidity but you could try it. 

Edited by smithy
  • Like 3

Hi Skellum, I've got some Psychotria Viridis, yes they grow really well up here. Most S American jungle plants and vines thrive here too. I'll definitely post pics of my plants as they become on topic. I'm not a cactus person though, I'm sure I'll be forgiven. :)   I'll watch out for communacacian too, thanks for the lead.

Hi smithy, thanks for the pointers. I'd looked at Maidenii before but kind of written it off looking at distribution maps like this one. This and other things I read were indicating to me that the tree would prefer a more varied cycle rather than the relative year round heat and damp that we have here. I must look again more closely. Same with blunt leaf. Confusa is a great idea though. Although it's not native it's got leaf and phyllode potential and looks beautiful. :) What exactly to you mean by weedy?... invasive? Half of my town would love me and the other half would want to kill me.

Edited by Blue Eclipse
  • Like 1

Hey, maidenii will be fine , they can take a lot of water if you have fast drainage. yes ,weedy as invasive, they are 1 of the acacia's that don't need treatment[ fire] to germinate , so they tend to pop up everywhere.  there's huge forests of them in malaysia.

Edited by smithy
  • Like 1

Through trial and thrifty-ness I've managed to get my hands on a variety of different acacia seed. Will update with some pics as they grow, because... well... just because.

"Thrift comes too late when you find it at the bottom of your purse." ~Seneca

• Like 1