The Corroboree
Alchemica

Cacao body butters - dispersion and standardisation of actives R&D

One interesting and important aspect will be ensuring homogeneity of my lotions so the actives are dispersed safely and at a standardised level. I'll probably have to do some work testing the solubility of the cacao alkaloids and lipophilic actives in coconut oil and have any more hydrophilic actives first solubilised in honey/agave syrup/maple syrup so when it comes to making the lotion, known concentrations can be present so you know how much to apply. It seems like the cacao powder and flavonols act as a good matrix for dispersal of both lipophilic and hydrophilic constituents and a 'emulsified', standardised lotion that wont separate out is easy enough, Anyone worked with getting such actives solubilised and dispersed? Any tips appreciated!

I'll leave any notes in this thread.

Edited by Alchemica

In case you're interested in the R&D: Each serve of lotion will be centred around 20g cacao powder containing 200mg cacao alkaloids. First cacao alkaloids will be solubilised in coconut oil with warming, desired sweetener for skin added and then, any required essential oils solubilised in this and then with vigorous stirring, cacao powder added. My first heart-variant will provide 50mg sceletium 20:1/20g cacao powder etc. This will be solubilised in the sweetener before lotion manufacture.

Hit me with what sweet stuff your skin desires!

Edited by Alchemica

Curious what the sweetener is for? I understand preserving things in honey or strong sugar solution, but isn't that property lost when it is diluted? Seems like the kinda addition that'd leave you with mouldy lotion & sticky fingers. Or is this one of those "not for human consumption, external use only *wink,wink* " things?

• Like 1