The Corroboree
bardo

Guy McPherson on climate change

Hey, came across this guy today and watched a few vids of his, thought I would share and see what yall might think about his predictions.

Here is a link to his web page https://guymcpherson.com/climate-chaos/climate-change-summary-and-update/  and a link to his you tube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyerZPyOwZdwRQtV66L6VTA

Delusional

They are all based on some unrealistic doomsday type of scenario.

What has shown to be bad data is presented in the link as a big argument

The climate is changing just like the weather, always has been

• Like 2

I think there is to many variables and to many unknowns in the world and earths system etc. to draw a conclusive result/prediction but interesting nonetheless.

Trump might not be really helping the scenario   http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/how-trump-is-changing-science-environment/ 

All the impact we have on earth and the population increase I would think it is not sustainable to continue on this path and something is gonna give big time, like continuously stretching an elastic band.

The amount of land required just to feed a family of 4 (approx 2 acres, so approx. 3.75 billion acres total for everyone)   https://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/how-much-land-is-needed-to-be-self-sufficient   not including medicines and the fresh water required not to mention the importance of soil fertility etc lots of etc.. and the population increasing paints an interesting picture that seems like our current ways are not sustainable, could do vertical gardens etc. but those type solutions will only help for a time, might need a soylent green plant in every major city lol 

Edited by bardo
  • Like 2

Personally i think the biggest threat to maintaining current conditions are vegans actually.

Large patches of rainforest are beeing cut down to make place for fields of soy. Compared to the original flora the soy plants are not so good in lowering co2 levels

Ofcourse in our field of hobby elevated co2 levels are only a good thing.

And as a matter of fact i believe the whole effect will revert soon as we stop chopping down plants (could speed it up by eating more creatures that eat plants!)

Also fish, most of the surface of the earth is sea..and it's filled with delicious fish

Yeh but the animals need a large area and they need grain/feed so we are farming food for the food, Either way vegan or not there is issues with both, if everyone was to grow there own food we would have lots of fertiliser run off into water ways and the increase in nitrogen etc. in the water ways has many negative impacts on environment, there just seems no way that a solution/s can happen with the population continuously growing, All solutions seem to be temporary fixes only.

Housing for everyone, like a four bedroom home on half acre seems to have no real positive effect for all living things either, everyone wants to have the dream but at what cost? reminds me of Isaiah quote  - Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there be no place, that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth!

Maybe the earth will shake us off like fleas, all the negatively perceived things seem to be positive in the hopes of our species continuation like disease, famine, natural disasters and war etc.

I think we may need to revaluate our whole system that is based on growth but how I have no real ideas about tackling that let alone putting real life ideas into place.

We could start looking at weeds (dandelion and nettle etc.) and insects as food, massive amount of goodness in them but to what end ? maybe we as a growing society are doomed ?

It is almost like we are a plague of grass hoppers stripping the earth, It also seems we are the only animal that produces rubbish ? I would like to hear real life solutions that are positive to all but when projecting I can't see any. 

With the fish/sea life if we all eat from it and our population doesn't stabilise then there is many issues there as well, we would be robbing the food of other sea animals etc. the web of current life seems delicate and we are voracious.

Things like Fukushima and oils spills etc. don't help the matter. Maybe we are to addicted to electricity and that it may need to be allocated to certain areas like hospitals using only or mainly clean energy and cut off or limited for households depending on  needs like dialysis machines etc.

Actually there does seem to be solutions like A back to basics type synergy with nature. Would go against big business and current politics and may result in war, anarchy and the collapse of modern society as we know it so maybe not a real solution that is positive to all but may be what is needed? A back to basics type synergy with nature ? Or just let things run its course and be positive and hopeful that our specie as a collective will always rise to the challenges? or not rise to it and just say oh well it was a good run with awesome times and now it is curtain closing time, why worry about continuality because it seems it has no real meaning anyway and maybe we are tired of it all lol

I am cool with whatever may come cause I just watching the show but the idea of the whole specie ending seems so much sadder and more lonely then when we each reach the line individually, maybe we will never end as a specie, that is also a scary thought for some reason I am not entirely sure lol meh i just chill and enjoy the ride lol

• Like 1

Oh and Methane is more of a concern than co2 according to Guy, he says as/if the oceans warm it could potentially release pockets of stored methane from beneath, like the world having a giant fart lol

• Like 1

When i come across someone with interesting ideas, to check the validity of such ideas, the first thing i do is search for critical opinions, then try to work out if the criticisms are based in flaws in the concepts or character assassination. Generally speaking if the ideas are rubbish there is plenty of evidence to show why, however if the criticisms focus on attacking the person's character instead of addressing the issues, its much more likely the criticisms are based in the bias the reviewers hold and therefore warrant further investigation. 

Here are a few criticisms of Guy McPherson i found online. Ill let you decide if you consider these to be reasonable criticisms of his work or just character assassination. 

Analysis of the data by knowledgeable science educators such as Scott K. Johnson[7] and working scientists such as Michael Tobis[8]shows that McPherson wildly distorts climate science — especially developments about methane emissions from the Arctic — to support his conclusions. They also refute his claims related to runaway climate "feedbacks" as, variously, "not fast enough", not meeting the technical description of positive feedbacks, or actually constituting negative feedbacks. Additionally, Tobis points out that some of McPherson's statements — such as one nonsensical prediction of chain nuclear meltdowns — have literally nothing to do with climate science.

McPherson also claims that the United States government, and virtually all high-profile scientists and activists (like James Hansen), know we are beyond the point of no return, but are purposefully making conservative predictions to mislead the public. Radio host Alex Smith explored the problematic reasoning and possible motivations behind McPherson's nihilistic views[9] and also researched dubious sources of the purported extinction date,[10] on the weekly Ecoshock program.

A quick review of any of the comments McPherson et al. make on critical articles, or the edit history of this very page, reveals that McPherson and his followers are quick to react to criticism with the predictable set of ad hominem attacks ("white male science," etc.) rather than with rational, peer-reviewed, or otherwise widely accepted scientific arguments. McPherson himself — again, see his apparent attempts at vandalism[11] — admits to cherry picking data that support his views.[12]

Edited by Change
  • Like 3