The Corroboree

Something that I think about a lot is design. With good design, things last a long time and make your life easier. With bad design, tools give you RSI, burn down your house, and contribute to landfill. So I wanted to start a thread where we can shame poor design in all its forms, in the hopes that maybe we can learn from their mistakes.

Here is one I used to look at every day. I actually started thinking out that it had one good design element: that the gutter in the middle of the roof emptied into a hollow upright pole, so that you got a 2-for-1 upright support and downpipe. That's neat, I thought. On closer examination, I discovered that the top of the pipe is sealed and the water just runs down the outside. :rolleyes:

At first glance this bus shelter doesn't look so bad, right? It's got a fair amount of overhang on the roof, and the clear roof and traffic-facing wall mean that it has decent natural lighting and you can see approaching buses. Here's where it starts to fall apart: the angle & height on that roof means that in any slight wind, there is no place to stand where you are out of the rain - the seat is covered in water in that 2nd photo. It also means that any time after about 10am that seat is in full sun, so there is no shade on those 40 degree days - you can walk by on any summer day and find 2 or 3 old ladies with their shopping trolleys huddled in the tiny patch of semi-shade behind the shelter, because there is none to be had inside it. Like turning over rocks in the forest. And because the walls are made of that metal mesh stuff, it doesn't keep the wind out either, and rain blows straight through the wall into the "shelter", soaking everything & everyone inside. 

bad_design2.thumb.jpg.e8d1db1400443b9afae2d69fe6ed311b.jpgbad_design1.thumb.jpg.35993ca970ced16007e5c9641341c05f.jpgbad_design3.thumb.jpg.a3ca05ea9db38b7e51e92ab261c756e2.jpgbit_drafty.thumb.jpg.973d6de924c389626d12141ec48ec707.jpg

I understand that Transport NSW want to keep homeless people from sleeping in their bus shelters, for some reason. So I guess if the idea was to make them as leaky and drafty as possible, then their design was a great success - anyone looking for somewhere warm and dry to sleep would go elsewhere. But if the idea was to make an actual bus shelter, it is a complete failure.

So folks, what design flaws haunt your lives and make your work harder than it needs to be?

bad_design2.thumb.jpg.e8d1db1400443b9afae2d69fe6ed311b.jpg

bad_design1.thumb.jpg.35993ca970ced16007e5c9641341c05f.jpg

bad_design3.thumb.jpg.a3ca05ea9db38b7e51e92ab261c756e2.jpg

bit_drafty.thumb.jpg.973d6de924c389626d12141ec48ec707.jpg

bad_design2.thumb.jpg.e8d1db1400443b9afae2d69fe6ed311b.jpg

bad_design1.thumb.jpg.35993ca970ced16007e5c9641341c05f.jpg

bad_design3.thumb.jpg.a3ca05ea9db38b7e51e92ab261c756e2.jpg

bit_drafty.thumb.jpg.973d6de924c389626d12141ec48ec707.jpg

• Like 7

I'm tempted to post a picture of the shoe box I live in. It has every aspect of mindless design incorporated into one fucked up package.

Windows wind out from the bottom, which lets heat in in summer

The front door is oriented to miss the prevailing cool afternoon sea breeze and windows don't open far enough to catch it either.

Living areas get no winter sun or light.

Bedrooms have zero flow through ventilation.

There's not one contiguous patch of concrete surrounding the house, it's a slap up patchwork mess with millions of cracks where grass grows through and grows better than it does in the rest of the yard

I could go on for ages but it would get too depressing to draw attention to every fucked up half arsed mis design aspect of this shit hole.

Alcohol lessens the impact though, if I drink enough I can quite easily just ignore all the bad points and not give a shit until it wears off.

• Like 1

big one (design fault) going down over here at the moment , not just the building but the cheaper option cladding :o 

https://cdn.rt.com/files/2017.06/article/5941dffec46188aa6b8b4568.jpg

other than that ,.... my rainforest box should have a front opening door ... , nightmare on the back ..

nice call for a thread man , there's so many terrible designs out there ...

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ said:

big one (design fault) going down over here at the moment , not just the building but the cheaper option cladding :o 

https://cdn.rt.com/files/2017.06/article/5941dffec46188aa6b8b4568.jpg

other than that ,.... my rainforest box should have a front opening door ... , nightmare on the back ..

nice call for a thread man , there's so many terrible designs out there ...

Why didn't it collapse on itself in real time ? like world trade centre 7.

Anyhow my heart goes out to the victims and the victims family, that was/is a gut retching thing to have happened, truly terrible.

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:56 AM, Sallubrious said:

I'm tempted to post a picture of the shoe box I live in. It has every aspect of mindless design incorporated into one fucked up package.

Windows wind out from the bottom, which lets heat in in summer

The front door is oriented to miss the prevailing cool afternoon sea breeze and windows don't open far enough to catch it either.

Living areas get no winter sun or light.

Bedrooms have zero flow through ventilation.

There's not one contiguous patch of concrete surrounding the house, it's a slap up patchwork mess with millions of cracks where grass grows through and grows better than it does in the rest of the yard

I could go on for ages but it would get too depressing to draw attention to every fucked up half arsed mis design aspect of this shit hole.

Alcohol lessens the impact though, if I drink enough I can quite easily just ignore all the bad points and not give a shit until it wears off.

Yo I would suggest saving the money spent on alcohol  and put the savings toward a new place? I am sure it aint that bad, I live in a caravan and my lounge and dining room and kitchen don't have walls lol and I love it, I use a wood stove to cook and have  tanks for water, I don't even have a shower I use a 20litre bucket with a scoop, got a composting toilet, got a semi automatic top load washing machine, I find it totally awesome, very very cheap and very synergised with nature.

Give something like that a go maybe? or yeh prioritise the dosh to living conditions rather than avoiding being conscious of your living conditions lol, funny shit.

Your post made me laugh but if you a serious I do hope you all the best and I hope you can try remember your many blessings before trying to drink it all away, like having a roof when its wet and cold. Its beyond terrible when you cant sleep because it is to cold, or you are to hungry, truly sucks. I am not trying to cheapen your complaints but hope to give perspective : )

albert.png

albert.thumb.png.a5f268c2faf1d8b082111348c9574ca7.png

albert.thumb.png.a5f268c2faf1d8b082111348c9574ca7.png

• Like 2

OP vodka costs about $2.10 a litre so if I put the $10.50 a week into an account my mrs won't drain I should be able start checking out second hand caravans myself in about 5 years.
I'll let you know how I get on.

21 hours ago, Sallubrious said:

OP vodka costs about $2.10 a litre so if I put the $10.50 a week into an account my mrs won't drain I should be able start checking out second hand caravans myself in about 5 years.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Are you home brewing? if that is the cost to make it you could make a good return selling it, 5 years is not very long but sell  a bottle here there for like 12+ bucks and ya on your way, sell a cactus once or twice a month approx. 20 bucks each than yeh it adds up.

Anyhow all the best

On 6/21/2017 at 4:16 AM, bardo said:

Why didn't it collapse on itself in real time ? like world trade centre 7.

Anyhow my heart goes out to the victims and the victims family, that was/is a gut retching thing to have happened, truly terrible.

well it looks like they both had something in common , i shdve known by now too..

so , apologies for making the mistake of that first posting since i had been suckered in by the msm and govt's lies yet again ... 

this is more like the design fault I probably should've posted ...

and that is

the design of the theatre and illusion 

dnt get me wrong its a well thought out design , but with the purpose of divide, hide and rule which is the real problem as people lose their lives familys and children to the sick stunts the ptb keep doing and in this instance very reminiscent of what i read having happened in usa for a long time -to clear residencies and pocket the cash for it

can defo tell the difference between the crisis actor and the residents,,,

The media cover up is looking like several hundred died in this fire

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ said:

well it looks like they both had something in common , i shdve known by now too..

so , apologies for making the mistake of that first posting since i had been suckered in by the msm and govt's lies yet again ... 

this is more like the design fault I probably should've posted ...

and that is

the design of the theatre and illusion 

dnt get me wrong its a well thought out design , but with the purpose of divide, hide and rule which is the real problem as people lose their lives familys and children to the sick stunts the ptb keep doing and in this instance very reminiscent of what i read having happened in usa for a long time -to clear residencies and pocket the cash for it

can defo tell the difference between the crisis actor and the residents,,,

The media cover up is looking like several hundred died in this fire

Yeh well it wouldn't surprise me at all, you know with money, greed and free will anything is possible. seems odd to me that cladding would cause such a spread of fire but I don't really know for sure.  

If you want to identify a crisis actor I reckon look at the ones who cry without tears, or ones they seem to use for different stories years apart lol or maybe they just look very similar.

Who owns and controls media ? I don't fully trust any media or actually I don't fully trust anybody, anyone can be misinformed and unintentionally spread untruths, near all can be bought and sold, corrupted souls.

It is interesting when media stories and footage are scrutinized there seems to me that there is often more than meets the eye

For all I know Charles Manson who to me often speaks a lot of sense, is just an actor who makes small video clips that is released to the public in order to discredit and make the general public scared of drugs and to discredit any valid stand points within the drug culture, maybe to help break up the hippy movement and distract from foreign affairs, it was in Hollywood and involved known actors and entertainers, I am not saying that is the case but wouldn't surprise me if things like that go down, I mean why not if you can and you desire control, I am sure the "elite" know no bounds when it comes to control of the status quo.

• Like 2

So i built this stand/rack/shelves thing with some excess wood I had.  I dreamed up the design in my head and just went to work with the saw and drill. 

Each corner post points 90 degrees to the last - which seemed like a really cool idea at the time.  I wondered why I'd never seen anything like it until... (upon completion) I discovered it can never be flush with the wall - or fit neatly in a corner.  Doh. 

IMG_1787.thumb.JPG.dad8032bac1e8a31af5fe18d9242e75e.JPG

• Like 5

oh - here's a good one i came up against today.  (i'm starting to see bad design everywhere!)

I hate this hand dryer.  I'm no clean freak, but they strike me as incredibly unhygienic - fkd if i can get my hand in there without touching it.... and, as you try, it blows the water up your sleeves...

IMG_1838.thumb.JPG.8b54e5c554258fdf5815715857441caf.JPG

• Like 1

I'm sure everyone has seen this before: roads, paths & slabs which have been built flat over the roots of a large tree, in apparent ignorance of the fact that trees are sometimes known to grow larger.

59941d3007148_badpath.thumb.jpg.d749676cbeaa5a36fe00d058d9202d75.jpg

That one was especially dim because it had been built not 50m from a park with some paths which have a very nifty solution, which is to use unattached thick concrete planks (I think they are railway sleepers?) where the paths cross the tree roots, so that they can be pushed up individually - without cracking - to form a natural curved bridge.

59941d5063c6b_goodpath.thumb.jpg.e89ed5ca483d2201d13708a48c7c87a5.jpggood_path2.thumb.jpg.6f8b66754d3225bfa2dee0b7a13edb2d.jpg

Everyone wins: the trees, the people in wheelchairs, and the guys who now don't have to get out there with jackhammers in a few years' time to remove the broken path.

59941d5063c6b_goodpath.thumb.jpg.e89ed5ca483d2201d13708a48c7c87a5.jpg

good_path2.thumb.jpg.6f8b66754d3225bfa2dee0b7a13edb2d.jpg

59941d5063c6b_goodpath.thumb.jpg.e89ed5ca483d2201d13708a48c7c87a5.jpg

good_path2.thumb.jpg.6f8b66754d3225bfa2dee0b7a13edb2d.jpg

• Like 3

Oh, ooh, I've got one! How about the glass doors between the carriages on Every tangara train. Hit a bump in the tracks or whatever and they go "BANG!!" With such force like, I'm sure, just a few neutons less than would be required to shatter the glass, scaring the shit out of passengers on a regular basis. 

I dont think they mentioned this design flaw when they cut the ribbon at the great unveiling of the new shiny Tangara fleet.... when was that?....'88? Anyhoo..

• Like 2

I wonder what the future will hold for robotic companion designs... 

Nice bike Sal!

I think there's a serious issue with the design of the tram doors these days , maybe not so much the design but it's need for smelling like shit to operate apparently

Our trams in my city release a shit fragranced gas from the doors, when I asked one official what the smell was that was being fumped onto people entering and exiting (and on a regular basis throughout their jouney if sat next to the doors) that appeared to only release when the doors opened and closed I was met with looks like those peeps in the movie They lived "I've got one here who can see!" (or smell in this case) and flat out denial that there was any smell what so ever,,. but when they left other passengers said they had noticed it too although not many - and mainly younger peeps, many more said they didnt detect anything... only two elder peeps could detect it...

so anyhow I figured I'd run it by another tram official a few months later that said so fluently that it was the lubricant they used for the doors and they didnt detect the fecal quality to it's odour in the slytest ;)

strokes chin wondering what it is they're farting onto mostly unsuspecting people who use the tram ....

anybody else's trams smell like shit too?

This is another one of those that narrowly misses being a clever design. I saw they had diverted the water from the gutter across in the vague direction of the green wall below it and thought they might have designed it so that the wall could be fed by rainwater. As it turns out, the pipe is just open (I gather it was only bent because the plants were now blocking the path a downpipe would've taken), and not even angled sharply enough for the water to hit the plants on the wall - some of the birds nest ferns in the bed below might catch some of it, but mostly it just goes onto the path. While the greenwall is watered by drinking-quality water. Palm, meet face.:rolleyes:

green_wall.thumb.jpg.13923cb4d4927aeb0ef951afd5bc9723.jpg

• Like 1

:) bitch bot will actually help them with their homework , video games and advice ...

and replaces the defective ethically, aurally, dimensionally and morally challenged original organic design