The Corroboree

Plants can tell ya a lot:wink:

But make sure you read through its description in that....not just the botany drawing.

• Like 2

I just like looking at the pictures !

i was reading through that, am going to look directly at the plant and see if it all matches up.

if I really get into it....photograph each part that I am comparing to the text and images....

• Like 1

I found this http://www.spiritplants.org/forums/the-rain-forest/chaliponga-seeds/ and dnno how I never found it before

but it was a beautiful sight for sore eyes elsewhere too on that site seeing someone good score germination and success growing Virola ..

and this was the info on Diplop' particularly flowering ..

""

Re: Chaliponga Seeds
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »
 The leaves of B. Caapi are very similar to DCabrerana as well... so much so that the chali was initially misidentified as Banisteriopsis Rusbyana.
it's far superior to pviridis, especially because it's a vine and so grows really quickly. With the PV you have to wait 4 years to harvest and then you'll need every leaf from the bush to cook a bash. DC cuttings are very sensitive but we've been quite sucessful in putting in a plantation with leaves 10 inches long.
I don't know about shipping live plants but will check into it. My friend shipped to Moscow, took 12 days but when the cutting got there they were growing tiny white roots.

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »
Chaliponga is also known as Oco-yage. "Oco" is indigenous for "water". It's a water loving plant and so that's the way that I've been able to get them growing and once they get going, they really take off, growing quickly and sending out many many vines.
I'll ask my friend if he thinks he can ship some live cuttings... but I don't think he can get them out of Peru, much less entered into another country.
I'm in complete agreement that it must flower at some point... but as I said, no one that I have spoken with in 16 years here has seen it in flower. I've got another really beautiful plant in my garden here.. have no idea what it is, but it grows up the side of my wall, flowers, drops a few seeds and dies. then the seeds take and it keeps repeating this cycle over and  over... bizarre plant.

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »
Here's what I just posted on the aussie forum:

to clear this up... I have never written that I have seen chaliponga in flower, because I haven't. I've been growing it for 10 years and have huge plants. They love very damp earth but will also grow in full sun with only rain, but the vines get very brittle and it doesn't grow very quickly. From one cutting in the ground, it sends out shoots and these too begin growing quickly. the original mother plant of chali was brought to Iquitos by the curandera Adela. She got it from the Huambisa tribe near the border of Ecuador about 40 years ago, so most all the chaliponga (huambisa) growing in Loreto have come from this Mother plant. Adela has also never seen it in flower.

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »
the curandero Percy Garcia is here in the office with me now and he's been working with chali since he was 11, has his own plants, and he also has never seen it in flower.
when we want plants to flower here in the jungle, we simply put new rich soil piled up around the base of the plant. I've tried that with chali but didn't work. Perhaps some of the people in other countries are correct, I'd love to know that it flowers, seems it would have to..

""

• Like 1

it's probably fair to guess that photoperiodicity is the only way

• Like 2

I was wondering about flooded forests and perhaps aquatic influorescence and maybe an aquatic pollinator but never thunk of photoperiod

probably noobality still :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shonman said:

Hmm....interesting.....natives say...plant tells them what to do.

i will have to incorporate this into my growing tech..l.had not thought of that before.

i did have a certain empathathic type approach, that I use...will apply this new concept...

run out of likes again :P but this ^^ yesss ,

it has to be tried even if you find something different , perhaps finer tuning comes with years ? ..

or a good "they who has been before" to help if it can be helped.

it's hard to put ya finger on a description of the sensations phenomena and feelings some of these malpighiacea impart (maybe all?) [or transmit for want of a better word] as they sprout or grow

[or even if in the mail before they even get to you] ..

and I'm still in early days tryna sustain them ..

but i dnno maybe it's the combo of this thread, the microdosing thread plus some seed i'm looking fwd to and the prep and the general "getting back into it" as inspiration feels to be the right way fwd for me out of my current "black pill" issue already toward a more sound nature balancing

....and didn't even need to consume any :)  just pot a few up.

it was however useful to consume some good SABbers words and vibes to remind me of who I felt before falling and why to keep driving on fwd back into the race to catch em all :) {damn show jumping stox}

I hope you get the relationship that you seek from the venture mate.

If I could find a word close enough [despite how far] to describe the feeling I got it would have to be : if a mild electrical current tingly sensation could greet-feel you. that and visiting dreams n then sprouting kinda phenomena.

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ said:

I was wondering about flooded forests and perhaps aquatic influorescence and maybe an aquatic pollinator but never thunk of photoperiod

probably noobality still :)

ha don't sell yourself short horse, you obviously have mad skills with this stuff.  i just remember from my studies that photo period is how you can make plants flower out of season, it stands to reason you can make them flower away from home too as long as theyre ready to do so

Edited by ThunderIdeal
mad skills
  • Like 3

Maybe the plants that don't flower, are under forest canopy and don't get the right light intensity/ time to flower?

the botanical pictures do show seed pods etc, it seems....

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 2:23 PM, waterboy 2.0 said:

But make sure you read through its description in that....not just the botany drawing.

Since the doc is produced by the botanist that did the taxonomic revision it's worth reading her notes.

• Like 2

dang I've been bashn away at that for about 4 hours n only got to page 16 ..

it's like treading quick sand .. I need to learn the terminology lol

i don't see any hairs on my caapi at all but maybe I misunderstood it .. Thanks for the push to read it WB

lol I was thinking how the heck can he know I/we didn't read it and I figured the only way to find out is to properly read it and hope all the fruit machine wheels click into allignment :innocent_n:

• Like 1

Lol.. Don't have to read the 200+pages cover to cover horsey (unless ya want to:wink:) , it's a beauty of a monograph series though.

Edit- a good botany dictionary will help if ya want to get bogged down into the descriptors though.

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

hey I just saw this on my caapi and they looked so much like your leaf underside things ..maybe good ole nectaries there..

2017-10-26 15.49.31.jpg2017-10-26 15.49.42.jpg2017-10-26 15.49.46.jpg

maybe they make bigger nectaries when in higher humidity? it's 100% humidity at 26C / 78F in there

2017-10-26 15.49.31.jpg

2017-10-26 15.49.42.jpg

2017-10-26 15.49.46.jpg

2017-10-26 15.49.31.jpg

2017-10-26 15.49.42.jpg

2017-10-26 15.49.46.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if i put some live DC leaves into the aeroponic cloner if they would root

like some have done with caapi leaves?

or maybe leaves sections into TC medium?

• Like 1

Does anyone have grow advice for this plant?

Someone apparently found a plant that flowered.

how primitive of them to just press leaves and stem into a book to dry out.

thank (the unspeakable ) for digital cameras!

really though....those scientists / botanists couldn't take a regular photo of the plant before drying?

• Like 1

Herbarium voucher specimens are more important than photos:wink:

• Like 1

Banisteriopsis caapi tuncunaca- caapi

on the subject of photos and flowers I re-found this an hour or so ago, i can't believe my memory forgot!

and there it was already "liked" by me

Is that pic the real thing?

• Like 1

I think so but that would kinda rest on the shaky foundations of not being sure about anything to do with diplop'. ..

like for example that earlier in the thread I was under the impression there were many species but then with a bit of research n study and learnings from those who have been before , even if they mightn't got the end goal..

so anyway now it looks like literature saying there are only 3 diplopt's..  :D

it is labelled diplop' on the link ,, and was the only one sought from a long time hunting for flowering shots ..

so , I hope so :) but personally I'm all for learning about them .. even if errors might be made ..

but with having recently learned how long you have hunted it ,

.. I would kinda see you as one of those who have been before and now with a beauty scored ... and maybe you would have better clue

..but what with it's florally challenged tightness of bloom sharing ..

I guess anything that can be found should prove toward crystallize even by deduction if necc'.

Arg!

it has started to get cold here, so I moved plants indoors.

the Cabrerana ( and other plants) dropped a lot of leaves.

not sure why....maybe some bugs? Less humidity?

also, new growth is dying back on the Cabrerana....I am very concerned.

i think it may be due to overwatering, and possibly water itself.

perhaps the PH, or chlorine that was in the water since when I moved the plants

i switched to using tap water.

I think they need to be in a humid spot, sheltered from too much wind.

they seem to want to be as if protected in a woods,

as an 'understory' plant at first...

yet, when I put them in the aquarium, new growth died back..

any suggestions....why leaves dropped, new growth dying back?

i did move them, need to re organize that space more....

Each year around this time, bugs do often appear and need dealt with.

I am getting tired of being where there is winter, with tropical plants.

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

The only thing I can think of might be like how bonsai drop leaves to regrow them to suit the new conditions ...

which as you can imagine can make for a lot of dead little trees if moved too often by folk unaware of that particular kind of phenomenae.

I wonder if it can be afforded to test leaving one in the aquarium to see if it redevelops a different texture leaf or something ...?

But with a plant of this kinda caliber I might also be hesitant to do that until having reliable method of propagation I guess so ...

I can't think of anything else on the leafdrop score mate but hope you can nail it down soon.

-know the feel of winter blues .. almost puts all but paid to giving these liana critters decent root room .. I prepped with 125litre (i think , might be 150's) pots a few yrs ago but never had chance to use em yet for anything more than laundry baskets so far:) .. maybe one day.

Ok..... many of my various plants dropped leaves and dried up a bit 

since I brought them indoors for winter.

i ass-u-me ‘d that it was due to temp and humidity 

as well as the water tube slipping out of the water container

for the big ebb and flow type table arrangement .

hovever, things did not improve and more leaves were lost from the speciosa trees here .

upon closer examination I discovered what are from my point of view

evil little Vermin infesting everything !

now I have to  bleach, trim and clean everything .

pic of vermin follows , any suggestions are appreciated !

Thanks 

7E621BBC-32A5-4F3C-986C-30316548B18E.jpeg

C5BA7DF0-9C0E-4F9E-B810-F0DDA9CD5FFE.jpeg

405BD21E-5E79-415F-B761-7E0AEF5AE469.jpeg

7E621BBC-32A5-4F3C-986C-30316548B18E.thumb.jpeg.404cc1e7a58bc7edbb46dee3c8510737.jpeg

C5BA7DF0-9C0E-4F9E-B810-F0DDA9CD5FFE.thumb.jpeg.b461bc023ba924eda2886bcd2f49f007.jpeg

405BD21E-5E79-415F-B761-7E0AEF5AE469.thumb.jpeg.0ab8fd74d5aa4e3664fcc124caed8f30.jpeg

7E621BBC-32A5-4F3C-986C-30316548B18E.thumb.jpeg.404cc1e7a58bc7edbb46dee3c8510737.jpeg

C5BA7DF0-9C0E-4F9E-B810-F0DDA9CD5FFE.thumb.jpeg.b461bc023ba924eda2886bcd2f49f007.jpeg

405BD21E-5E79-415F-B761-7E0AEF5AE469.thumb.jpeg.0ab8fd74d5aa4e3664fcc124caed8f30.jpeg

• Like 1

These are scale bugs, if you're patient you can dab them all with a pin or wipe them all with alcohol.

Spraying with some neem oil in water could help too.

Also, watch out for ants around your plants, they farm the scale bugs and put them on your plants.

It's normal for kratom to drop some leaves when brought inside, but it's not such a bad thing hey? haha

• Like 1