The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Commercial scale propagation shade/greenhouse options for native species

Looking into small commercial scale propagation of Australian natives for a conservation project, and trying to decide on what kind of greenhouse / shadehouse to build, or whether one is even required.

Anyone have any useful input or experience?

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 2

Talk to @communacacian tripsis.

He propagates large amounts of acacia from seed.
I think he offloads them before they are much larger than tube stock though...
So a large greenhouse I'd imagine probably wouldn't be necessary for him.

A fine project my friend - good luck with it all!

EDIT: Ah i see your referring to 'Natives' in general - not specifically only acacia.

Edited by Skellum
  • Like 1

The big native nurseries down here don't use them for most species, the harder they are grown the better the plants. Some species may require shade if its a niche thing going on.

I've watched rehab projects fail due to using soft stock. You dont wanna be hardeing off native plants.

Tubestock and Hiko trays are the dominant supplied stock.

Wind protection may be a serious consideration though, and benches are a good idea to reduce pests and better for those working on them to prevent injury and ease of maintenance.

May help.

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

That's right, Skellum, it'll be a diverse range of species from grasses and groundcovers through to trees.

I was hoping you'd reply, @waterboy 2.0. That's exactly what I was thinking, grow them hard to reduce mortality later. Shade is definitely a consideration for understory species. What do you think of a tunnel with wire mesh, and shade at one end, to protect from animals? Pallets or pallets on crates as benches?

Also, any input on whether those tubes with internal ribs really do promote beneficial root development?

11 minutes ago, tripsis said:

@waterboy 2.0What do you think of a tunnel with wire mesh, and shade at one end, to protect from animals? Pallets or pallets on crates as benches?

A meshed up tunnel (poly over star posts?) would be cheaper , easier to construct and more secure than a decent browsing animal fence IMO.  If the orientation is all good you coild get the benefit for any species with greater shade requirements .

I use old hospital beds (which is worth mentioning), but have also used platic bread crates on milk crates stiched up with cable ties, also plastic postal pallets. I like to keep things off the ground, waist ish high works for me and how I work(watering,weeding and surveillence).Help reduce things like "flickweed" (forget name now) from getting a hold as well, and grasshoppers and ground based insect mofos I had nothing but battles when close to the ground.

I sorta like the ribbed tubes, but really think they only help prevent circling a bit more if the stock is held too long. I only use them because I have a stash of them, I wouldnt buy them over straight tubes. I think a good media is more important.

Good tips, thanks for the info. 

That's what I figure with the tunes too, ultimately bot allowing seedlings to get rootbound is the best approach. 

Do you make your own media? Or what the native mix from somewhere like ANL be adequate? Given this first stage will be a trial, I'm really looking for optimal success rates to help guarantee that it will be scaled up. 

No probs Tripsis, its only my experiences and what has worked for me over the years.

I've had periods where I have raised 1000s of seedlings, mostly acacia and eucalypts, but poas and sedges as well, a few other species of interest/importance as well..

If you can glean something out of the shit I come out with...LOL:wink:... it may save some hassles, spark an idea, or a chuckle.

With bulk natives I always made my own media, basically its a LOT cheaper and I found it hard to find a consistant media that was any good. Best friend will be a cheap cement mixer if going down that path:wink:

• Like 1

greenhouse definitely isn't needed but unless your climate is right you'll need it if you want to propagate all year round

• Like 1

^ actually this is a consideration. Especially if you want a mass of stock fast.

I only grow according to natural season, and its full 4 seasons here

So seed is only sown in the natural cycle by me, and usually only 1 to 2 prime germination periods species dependant. I rarely veg propagate tas natives, and when I do its usually division, typically once a year.

I could punch more out with intervention.

• Like 1

yeah i think there is a lot of good reasons to sow in natural cycles.  way higher possibility of soft stock growing year round in a greenhouse like you said wb & more complicated hardening off etc & it just makes sense to acclimatize seedlings to their natural conditions from word go..  i just thought cause the title said commercial scale..  but for a conservation project it's not the best advice.

actually i don't think i have anything else to add to your advice wb. 

good luck with your project tripsis!  let us know how things go in the future

• Like 2

I'm going down the path of hardening them off from the outset.

Now for the hard part - working out materials, systems, and labour, and providing costings estimates. Short deadline to do all this.

If funding is approved, I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 1

Id recommend building a poly tunnel with star pickets and 2 inch poly pipe. Be sure to put adequate ventilation, airflow is very important! either doors at either end or a large window at one end and a door at the other. You can make shade areas using the same polypipe/star picket combo, just stretch and staple shade cloth over the frame.

Its can be good to have a few shade areas, one medium density, one light. I use the poly purely for propagation and once seedlings are big enough to handle the outdoor conditions you can move them out to the medium density after a few weeks move to the lighter one then finally to full sun to harden them (in the haert of summer for instance).

The idea is to have the best success with the seeds you have, so hardening them up is something to do once they are established imo. depends what you are growing but critical if you are working with rare species with limited access to seed.

I would also agree to grow with the seasonal flow of things

C

• Like 2

As above, But poly tunnels if done badly can cause loads of problems, Not enough air flow,  too hot in the day, best way is to find a sheltered spot and put a greenhouse just with a roof. sow seed early spring or autumn.   I have a good micro climate amongst my native bushland that mimics natural habits . 

Edited by smithy