Sign in to follow this  
stona86

acacia id

Can anyone provide any insight into what acacia species it is

IMG_20170516_151654.jpg

IMG_20170516_151654.thumb.jpg.dee470630faff9b3fae1ab549b27b073.jpg

IMG_20170516_151654.thumb.jpg.dee470630faff9b3fae1ab549b27b073.jpg

• Like 1

Are the phyllodes that green grass looking stuff under neath it?
or are the phyllodes those silvery looking white leaves above it?

I see that silver tree with yellow flowers around the traps down here mate.... The phyllodes are reminiscent of like a snowflake type structure?

I could be wrong but I don't think its an acacia at all... or if it is, its not apart of the longfolia class of acacias, therefore likely undesirable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bro it seems a bit tricky to get your acacia's ID'd here at SAB... There is a bit of a process cause they must of once upon a time have gotten spammed by every weekend hunter.
Check this sticky thread here... explains the protocol (info required from yourself) when posting & asking for acacia ID's to basically speed up and make the process easier for anyone trying to help you. Heres the link: 

And that link just given, is in the 'Plant Identification (Non-Cactus)' SUBFORUM which is a part of the ETHNOBOTANY section of SAB.
This ETHNOBOTANY section is actually where you post to get your Acacias ID'd  -  may be confusing for some, cause first thought would be Australian Natives for an acacia ID...
But its actually in the Subforum of the Ethnobotany section. Heres a link to the IDing Subforum:    http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/forum/29-plant-identification-non-cactus/

Good luck homegroan - may the force be with you.
Oi snap a clearer photo too you animal.... lolol

Edited by Skellum

Acacia baileyana looks likely when I squint and cross my eyes:wink:

Thats really a crap image for an ID...lol

EDIT-baileyana.jpg

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

Good on you WB... so it is an acacia aye...
I think I see this type fucking everywhere along the sides of the highway here in NSW.

There ya go @stona86 it wasn't as convoluted as I made out   :P

I am committing to likely on a cootamundra wattle, stona86 should be able to further sus it with that  image I attached if so or not.

I'd recomend that anyone who is serious about an ID of anything take a decent set of photos....

Thanks bro for going to the trouble of explaining it to me. The green stuff is wait for it..... Grass haha i chopped down a few branches to tidy up the  trees and old mate was pointing out the acacia's and boy didn't that peak my interest but yeah didn't get a photo off the tree just the branch on the ground cause it looks kind of dodgie taking pics of trees when I'm suppose to b working to mention the fact of explaining my attraction to acacia's haha

And WB it would be great if it was that said species let me tell you but knowing my luck i have a feeling it one of the million other species that isnt umm sort after... I could be wrong its a rare occurrence but occasionally known to happen lol 

Edited by stona86
  • Like 1

Yeah I will take a better pic of the hole tree WB i just thought from a leaf and flower shot it would b able to be id...

I will get better picture tuesday 

Make it in focus:wink:yes - phyllodes and flowers can be enough sometimes.

Bark and general growth habit also help differentiate at times.

• Like 1

Ok thanks heaps bro I will keep that in mind. it does resemble the coota wattle i will have to have a better look and grab some better pics.

47 minutes ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

Make it in focus:wink:yes - phyllodes and flowers can be enough sometimes.

Bark and general growth habit also help differentiate at times.

Also, location found and flowering times too I hear are often essential info for a solid ID.

@stona86 Working for the council stona you'll get to sus out shitloads of acacias and even subs potentially during this time of the year.

Keep your eyes peeeled over the next few months man. Great time to be doing outdoorsy work around mulched parks :wink:

• Like 1

No worries skellum thanks and yeah I've seen 4 different variety s of acacia's so far. I'll get pics for a id and yeah there's heaps of non actives on the fields but around the outskirts are bushlandy and are full  of bluegum and various eyuclupts and acacias so I'm keeping a eagle eye around those areas for sub's