The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
squidgygoanna

Buying lab gear & glassware, a few questions

Hey guys,

I'm learning the basics of Organic Chemistry and want to buy a few bits and pieces to do some experiments with, basic things like a soxhlet extractor, condenser, heated stir plate, distillation kit, a few erlenmeyer and round bottom flasks, etc. I don't have a lot of cash to spare, I had a look on eBay and I can get almost everything I want relatively cheap from China. I have a few concerns however:

1. Will quality be an issue coming from China? I don't need top of the line equipment as this is purely for practice experiments while I'm learning

2. Will the feds or customs come and kick down my door looking for a meth lab?

Edited by squidgygoanna
  • Like 1

You'll need to check Vic state laws to see if you need an End User Declaration (EUD) for a condensor (pretty sure), and condensor on a soxhlet (?). There probably is also a limit to the size of the round bottom flasks as they can be considered to be a reaction vessel (was about 500ml +). There is other kit that will require it as well.

An EUD basically means there is a record that is either sent to, or available for a period of years to the "commissioner of police" on request in a given state.

Its different state by state. I live where glassware didnt have EUD requirements (may have changed a little),

These days a lot of chemistry concerns law enforcement:wink:. I'll presume it would get handed to state enforcement if there were questions on imported kit (?).

I use to deal with sciencesupply.com.au  a fair bit in previous jobs, have a look around they had some good coverage on EUD requirements on items which will give an idea of what may need them for a given state.

Hope that helps a bit:wink:.

EDIT - to be clearer...lol...if it looks like its gunna need an EUD its likely to be a red flag at fed level when importing:wink:

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 3

if ya in it for the science of it and the happiness it brings you i'd suggest improving your skill set to include a glassblowing course and a welding course.

You just make as on need basis for your basil oil extractions etc.

much easier than eud's. I'm sure your intentions are pure but nothing like circumventing issues that needless attract attention to oneself.......imagine all the lead light and vases you'll be churning out bro

• Like 3

Haha not a bad idea eth, glass blowing looks like a pretty badass skill to have anyway

• Like 1