The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Scarecrow

When to re-pot this Kava?

Heya folks, been a while. I picked up a Kava Kava plant from the SAB store and it arrived yesterday. It's looking surprisingly comfortable considering it just went through the mail, but the pot's quite tiny so I want to re-pot it at some point.

I'm just wondering when is a good time to do this? At the moment my only greenhouse (cheap thing from Aldi) is falling to pieces and not really holding any heat, and I read here that in this kind of weather kava plants will likely become dormant and/or die back. Am I right to assume that this means I should hold off on re-potting until it gets warmer again (or maybe until I build a more serious greenhouse) so as not to shock the plant while it's vulnerable? I could just keep this fella in a humidity tent until then.

hey @Scarecrow long time no see.

i'd let it go and acclimatize in the greenhouse till spring. i've had this Piper subpettatum in your region in its original pot for two seasons and it's growing new baby sprouts now. next year i'll put her in the ground. 6thmay2017 044.jpg6thmay2017 047.jpg6thmay2017 046.jpg

6thmay2017 044.jpg

6thmay2017 047.jpg

6thmay2017 046.jpg

6thmay2017 044.jpg

6thmay2017 047.jpg

6thmay2017 046.jpg

• Like 1

Hey @etherealdrifter, good to see you too. I've been hoping to catch a Melbourne meet at a good time but the timing's been bad for me, and I've been pretty busy with studies :(

Your plant's looking good! Leaving it until spring sounds like a good idea, but like I said my greenhouse isn't much of a greenhouse right now. Think a humidity tent will do the trick instead until then?

mine's been living under the back verandah that is closed off from the elements on one side but open to frost over the winter on the other side. It does drop amny leaves over winter but the die back comes back with a vengeance in the spring/summer. If you have a humidity tent , i'd go for it since it just come from up north and wants to get you know better

• Like 2

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Hey scarecrow, I would absolutely put it in a humidity tent and put it somewhere warm. Kava is VERY sensitive. It cannot take full sun and it will rot if too wet. Other piper species are easy compared to kava. 

Im very interested to see how you go with it in Melbs, please keep us updated...