The Corroboree
stona86

help with a pachanoi

Hey I've got a tip of PC and its unrooted and in getting a brown rot on the tip what do I do leave it or cut it off

1491791373229.jpg

1491791373229.thumb.jpg.1050d5fa478f94d82593bad81f936e07.jpg

1491791373229.thumb.jpg.1050d5fa478f94d82593bad81f936e07.jpg

Damn... Is it squishy at all? Might be worth cutting the top off and dusting with sulfer powered. 

Yeah mate its squishie so is that rot? Yeah might just cut off and what would cause it as I havent wet the soil and they have been kept inside 

It could have started from a tiny little scratch. I haven't been keeping up with cacti knowledge so my advice is probably not the best atm.. But sounds like some kind or rot or fungal thing. I can only recommend cutting the tip off until you get to a non squishy part... Then dust the top with some sulfer to stop the rot getting back in..

uhh I'm sure someone else should chime in... Also some better pictures could help us figure out what's wrong with her...

the tip is unharmed.. 

I think its black rot, anywayz I think that I would do nothing and keep dry.. but we have reverse seasons... if you are extra worried cut the bad parts and dust with fungicide

Yeah I just cut the top and bottom  off and re calloused over a week or so

• Like 2

that sux man! hoping nothing like that sets into any of my pieces.

do u reckon she'll be alright now you've cut the leprosy away?

Good to hear! 

hopefully she'll be right!

could try graft the tip onto something for fun 

Edited by jwerta

It should be.. Looks healthy as now nice and green. I've got quite a few seeds started too. 

1492603017227.jpg

1492603017227.thumb.jpg.fa10cb1cd606caa44b772b3b83eb194d.jpg

1492603017227.thumb.jpg.fa10cb1cd606caa44b772b3b83eb194d.jpg

looks healthy now.....until the next time black rot hits......

I'm baby sitting a buncha plants for nitrogen.....so one day one stem in a large pot full of Super Pedro x Psycho0 grows a new pup & the tip is completely consumed with black rot.  Nitro stops by & wants to cut it off...Nope, let 'er grow I say.  A few months later the tip recovers on its own & is now a healthy growing branch.

cactus plants are a whole lot tougher than most humans give em credit for......

• Like 5

Yes, especially older fatter specimens survive black rot without any problems. The orange stuff seems worse...

i'ze not sure but i think i stopped the orange stuff on a tip wih funnily enough D-limonene 

fight orange with orange methinks now, will try again next opportunity and see if it wrks again

ow my validus mutt got sunburned to the black stage and I'm wondering whether to lop it or not ... 

a few scops did the same but took it a lot better than the vali

if ya still around folks, what dyu reckon? - I'll go take a phote

i put some shading cloth up about 2 or 3 weeks ago tho ..

that certainly taught me something i didnt expect about cacties that have lost their sun protection over time and also was very revealling with the newish cacties showing most may have been grown outdoor before i bought them

the taquimbos arrived at the appartment i was in from july 2015 to april 2016 so their sun protection lasts that long seeing as they are in full sun and at the edge where the shading cloth doesn't properly cover all day

2017-04-20 14.31.31.jpg2017-04-20 14.31.36.jpg2017-04-20 14.31.47.jpg2017-04-20 14.32.08.jpg

so I think the burns will turn to black rot, what dyu guys think?

as far as black rot goes on the stoner86 OP plant,

I might suggest that if you do cut the tip , it might be a nice idea to graft it back to the main column after the affected area has been removed ...and hopefully not slow it down too bad in the long run ...?

if you don't cut the tip but just cut away the bad , blast it with garden sulphur as much as poss and try to cover it with something as rain protection to keep it dry while it heals if the weather might be an issue

if you do none of the above , at least give it a regular blast of yellow sulphur 

if you cant find the fungicide mentioned by SagiX use yellow sulphur , as much as poss as liberally as you like 

just dnt breathe it in or get it in ya eyes

and wash it off/rinse it off fast or it warms up on your skin if it gets damp , 

2017-04-20 14.31.31.jpg

2017-04-20 14.31.36.jpg

2017-04-20 14.31.47.jpg

2017-04-20 14.32.08.jpg

2017-04-20 14.31.31.jpg

2017-04-20 14.31.36.jpg

2017-04-20 14.31.47.jpg

2017-04-20 14.32.08.jpg

Im not an expert but if that black rott begins to turn to soft moosh then 100% cut it back to where it's solid. If you cut and the centre of the plant still has black or orange id continue to cut if possible (lower and lower). Personally i'd cut the plant in the first 2 pictures to the stem as they do look like the upper sections have had it sorry to say.

• Like 1

stona86>  agreed with zelly. 

you needn't cut the tip, black rot lived in the cutting, it will never die unless the cactus dies. It is almost never fatal and it typical of overcloned strains or offspring of black rot positive clones. 

maybe we should stop calling it rot as it seems to be a symbiotic bacterium.. 

cutting an unharmed tip is a serious delay if someones is in a hurry

horsey>> your damage seem to be unrelated to black rot. 

cutting a tip and regrafting to avoid a black rot spot seems like an incredible waste of effort and time for something that aint even really dangerous. so its only a fun experiment for me. 

Did the orange things appear after sun exposure? Could easily see it as extensive burns and then moisture infecting the stressed epidermis.. maybe that's what caused the damage in the blackish / damaged tip?  

You should definately except some softening of cacti resistance to sun if you keep them more than half of the year inside. Well I dont know your wattage (lights and windows inside I mean) , but I know from exprerience that sunburns can easily happen to cacti as well. And especially with noon sun which seems to be the worse for this kind of thing.. 

• Like 2