The Corroboree
Zedo

Stapelia cacti is not a cacti

So I took a cutting from home years ago, and now I'm getting a bud.... a huge bud. Can't wait to see the outcome. I found it's a 'stapelia' but I'm not sure what type. Anyways thought I'd share its progress. It just keeps getting bigger. I'd love to let it spread but it's also called a carrion flower. So I might stink. 

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0488.thumb.JPG.74ffb51a0ab7d9937a80a711790db068.JPG

IMG_0488.thumb.JPG.74ffb51a0ab7d9937a80a711790db068.JPG

Edited by Zedo
  • Like 1

can be used as grafting stock, ive only seen a couple of peeps use it but it works, may not have the longevity of trich or peres though.

Interesting to know. I haven't tried grafting yet, but when I do it'll be worth a shot. I'm just amazed how big the bud is. It's like 100mm long. I read some species can get flowers up to 400mm in diameter. I would imagine when this opens it'll be around 150-200mm diameter.

I'm a tradie. Can't help but to measure lol

• Like 3

can be used as grafting stock, ive only seen a couple of peeps use it but it works, may not have the longevity of trich or peres though.

This isn't a cactus so grafting cactuses to it won't work, but you can graft other things from the same family to it, like Hoodia or other stapeliads. 

And these have really cool flowers @Zedo, yours is probably stapelia grandiflora or stapelia gigantea. I'd guess gigantea but when the flower opens it should help you more. 

• Like 2

ive seen trichs grafted to stapelia, they were leaning over with the weight of the scion but grafted none the less

You sure it wasn't a selenicereus sp. or some other cactus that has similar looking limbs that they had used as graft stock rather than a stapeliad? As far as I'm aware it's impossible to graft a cactus onto a plant from a completely different family and have it work. And stapeliads aren't very closely related to cactus. 

Otherwise pics of this crazy oddity you speak of would be very cool to see. 

• Like 1

when it comes to cacti the rules can always be bent and in most cases broken, definite stapelia, had a big conversation about it, 5 years ago at least, person not on this site, lost contact. 

I have this bad habit of not entering people into my phone, thinking ill just remember that number, but no.

My research said it was a cacti. I understand all cacti are succulents but not in reverse. 

Though I'd be interested in other opinions. 

Scrap that. Yeah looking now I must have misread something. Just a succ. Funny though cause I used a cacti identification guide to work out what it was.

Edited by Zedo

Wow zedo what a huge flower bud , nice 

• Like 2

flower is ACE, im looking forward to seeing it bloom

• Like 1

Opened today. Seriously huge. 160mm from centre to tip. So 320mm diameter. So cool.

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0518.thumb.JPG.0fad1f196fdc84e3c71037805ae421d7.JPG

IMG_0518.thumb.JPG.0fad1f196fdc84e3c71037805ae421d7.JPG

• Like 3

like Zed said, stapelia gigantea

nastiest, stinkiest flower imaginable........

Yeh defiantly stapelia gigantea. Thanks. I gave it a snif when I got home that arvo and took the picture as I was interested to see how bad it smelt. It had a fly and a few ants on it. But I couldn't smell anything. Probably a good thing lol.

Sorry to reignite this thread from two months ago, but are you guys trying to tell me that you can graft a cactus onto a stapelia gigantea ??
This would have to mean that Stapelia is in the cactus family?

4 hours ago, gr33ntea said:

Sorry to reignite this thread from two months ago, but are you guys trying to tell me that you can graft a cactus onto a stapelia gigantea ??

This would have to mean that Stapelia is in the cactus family?

It most definitely is not. Not even in the same order of plants. It would however mean that cacti are much more adaptable than we thought. I've never tried grafting a cactus to stapelia or vice versa, but I have seen a picture of a Lophophora grafted to one of those leafy grayish succulents, I forget it's name, and growing very successfully. I regret not saving that picture. But if it can grow on that, than it's entirely possible it can grow on stapelia as well.