The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ayjay101

Poppy Seeds - retracted

Edit - retracted.

Was looking for poppy seeds for an ornamental garden bed but didn't realise the legal implications.

D'oh.

Edited by ayjay101

@ayjay101 I'd be interested in planting some too. Are you getting them in the ground now as soon as u get the seeds down in vic? or are you holding onto them until the weather warms up a bit for the next season?

Sorry I'm a noob, not too sure how to grow poppies. I just love the flowers and might get some in now, if now's the time you know...

Good luck finding some, I'd be interested if you come across any - Tazzys or Afghans :)

Yeah was thinking of getting them going ASAP...  spring or summer is the norm, but the temps have been up around here and I've heard peeps have had luck out of season with diff varieties

• Like 1

Guys, they are illegal to grow so all talk is assumed to be theoretical as I'm sure nobody would knowingly incriminate themselves.

In places where they aren't, sowing in autumn when the temp is around 15 degrees is common practice. They sort of go dormant through winter in the cabbage stage, then in spring they take off and end up much larger plants with an earlier harvest.

• Like 3

Guys, they are illegal to grow so all talk is assumed to be theoretical as I'm sure nobody would knowingly incriminate themselves.

In places where they aren't, sowing in autumn when the temp is around 15 degrees is common practice. They sort of go dormant through winter in the cabbage stage, then in spring they take off and end up much larger plants with an earlier harvest.

But So Easy To Get..HaHa!!

Go to Woolies or Coles

And buy some Poppy Bread Seeds (In the spices isle) sow the whole bag or jar..

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Bread+poppy+Papaver+somniferum&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHnuv38-nSAhWLT7wKHTsRDjwQ_AUIBigB&biw=1920&bih=961

http://jimlongscolumns.blogspot.com.au/2006/08/bread-poppies_21.html

Too Easy :wink:

Edited by mole

Nah fuck all that man I was honestly under the impression they were legal to grow for ornamental purposes - so I'm no longer interested now...

Wow they're cracking down on opiate based shit aye, even over the counter codeine pills & ornamental flowers. Christ sake.

Thx for everyone's input anyway, don't get yourself in trouble ayjay its not worth it mate. Grow beautiful cacti instead while its still legal, that's where the true hardon can be obtained :)

• Like 1

I have an heirloom papaver somniferum cultivar that has been in the family for generations.  It's called "flowerbox poppy" because it tops out at 2' tall.  Sort of a bonsai poppy.  They are legal to grow in the states, but I would get cuffed if I were making laudanum out of them.  The harvest would be dismal as well as the poppy heads are about the size of a quarter.  I put it in this thread for educational purposes only.  

Stop Freaking out People..

Go to Woolies like i said or if you want to pay "HEAPS More" go to

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/shop/papaver_spp_cp_96.php

My God what are ya's going to grow a field or something?

A couple in your garden is fine..Just DON"T BLEED THEM !!!

Flowers are fine..

They even have them at the florist here.

Big pods for decoration

Trevyn

No Pig in my town would do a thing.

They even grow in the middle of the highway.

In Canberra ive seen em :lol:

Another reason why Australia is the best place to live:lol::P:lol:

Edited by mole

A couple in your garden is fine..Just DON"T BLEED THEM !!!

Flowers are fine..

Which is correct?

Keeping in mind mole is correct that the SAB shop is selling them. Torsten wouldn't sell poppy seeds if it was illegal I'd imagine.

The seeds themselves aren't  illegal, they're used in cooking(poppy seed cake ect) growing them FOR the production of opium/morphine/heroin is illegal, if it's just an ornamental garden shit whose to say you even know what they are or how they got there ? 

• Like 1