The Corroboree
MountainGoat

Grafting a crested loph...?

So, I've been lucky and picked up a crested loph... It's currently about  7cm in width, grafted to a tiny bit of hylo. I'm keen to graft it onto bigger stock, possibly split it into 2 or 3 different grafts. But obviously I don't want to kill it. Does anyone have experience grafting crested loph? Can someone offer some advice...?

• Like 1

Hey Mate 

It is incredibly easy!! in fact easier than grafting most other things. Like most crests the vascular ring is elliptical making it very easy to line up / cross the vascular rings. One word of advice though is to spend some time planning your grafts that you are intending to make or cut up. Leaving zero open cut area is the best planned graft leaving little area for infection( having the entire cut section of the scion in complete contact with the stocks cut surface area).

Trust me there is nothing to worry about or hard about grafting crested lophs.

• Like 1

@Master B Thanks, I like that vote of confidence...

Have you noticed any growth pattern differences depending on the way you cut the section to graft? Like, if one takes the side of the fan, then lays that down straight onto the stock, will it re-shape itself into a fan again over time? Or is it best to take that side, then cut the bottom off and graft that section?

Ive found crests generally much easier to graft, but i'd really like to keep a nice growth form on this one...

Its pretty hard to try and predict how a grafted crest will react.  I think all you can do is cut and graft in hope that it will grow the way you want? but in reality anything can and will happen...i.e it just terminates and re-pups again... But hey you have more grafting scions?