The Corroboree
Berengar

Please help identifying jasmine seeds

Question

I bought these seeds for my mom as Jasminum sambac from China, but knowing how reliable Chinese seed vendors are, I'm not too sure that's what they actually are. I searched the web for a while, but couldn't find anything substantial, the only thing that looks similar are Gardenia jasminoides seeds, but also from Chinese ebay sites... Does anyone have any idea what these could be? Also, any advice on sowing these would be very welcome, I know jasmine is usually grown from cuttings, but I wanted to give these a try.

Thanks!

IMG_7480.jpgIMG_7485.jpg

IMG_7480.thumb.jpg.07f5ae83eb6c07c3e3d03a5cccec38a6.jpg

IMG_7485.thumb.jpg.9ca6cf1620e07e6832b5d39eb8142078.jpg

IMG_7480.thumb.jpg.07f5ae83eb6c07c3e3d03a5cccec38a6.jpg

IMG_7485.thumb.jpg.9ca6cf1620e07e6832b5d39eb8142078.jpg

3 answers to this question

I just hope they at least sprout something. I bought a bunch of seeds off Chinese vendors and got a 0% germination rate. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that is very often the case... Very, very rarely you actually get viable seeds of the species you ordered... I just threw these in with another order (on an electronics site :lol: ) for a $ because they looked interesting. I'll sow a few and give another few GA3 treatment, we'll see if anything sprouts. Gardenia should be nice too, right?

You might have more luck with those sorts of plants thinking of it now. I bought succulent seeds so I was assuming low germination rate at best. Gardenia and jasmine similar type plants probably more abundant and pollinated well. So who knows. Luck of the draw some times, if not all times. Report back. Might make me rethink or confirm my suspicions of Chinese vendors