The Corroboree

Do you share all your knowledge and enrich your environment or keep things for yourself and stay empowered?

or something different?

• Like 2

share it all ,

its so annoying when folk withhold stuffs that might've helped you avoid a failure or may have helped you have a chance of success with them, perhaps even collaboratively.

Its just dishonest to the species that they're vamping off of,... and totally underhand to those who are used..

like for example when people readily sap up all your info and links/supplier links etc, maybe in a pm or something

and then you get some info that you asked again from someone else (person b )

.. after being told nothing on it by person a,

then go tell person a to try and share the latest bit of info you just got , ya know to be like ,.. all helpful as poss n stuffs,..

who then says "yeah it was me who gave them the link " (modern shaman/virola seed) and you think to yourself,... wow what a selfish cunt! and then you start wondering why , and then all the usual reasons,,, and before you know it you're back to the initial revelation , they're just a cunt, you get em everywhere I suppose ..

Defiantly a problem our species has. We want everything for ourselves to so we may feel or gain more worth than others (speaking broadly not of everyone).

I love teaching others but I don't think it's as simple as a yes no answer. But the intent should always be to help share and grow each other. 

Sometimes information should be withholded until the right time. Sometimes held back for insight of the seekers 'evil' intent. Sometimes things should be learnt from experience or self growth rather than outlayed in front of them. 

Another viewpoint of withholding information without the intent of personal gain could be your still figuring it out for yourself. You may not want to spread a half truth or unfinished hypothesis. Chinese whispers anyone? Lol

but I hope you get the idea. 

I think we all need to share our knowledge, but be mindful or how it's shared.

• Like 4

I love to share knowledge, I dont like the notion that knowledge is a product which is sold... 

• Like 2

Sharing is caring homies, although I remember hearing a mantra a while back that went like this:

No tell, no smell, no sell :huh:

• Like 1

Absolutely.  But go work in corporate environment and it can be every man (or woman) for themselves.  Withholding knowledge = job security...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SayN said:

Absolutely.  But go work in corporate environment and it can be every man (or woman) for themselves.  Withholding knowledge = job security...

It also makes it harder to take any time off, and if you do, you come back to a massive backlog...

• Like 1

Super Sayn?

Yeah it always felt kind of awkward introducing myself at meets. :)

• Like 1

On 07/07/2017 at 10:51 AM, SayN said:

Yeah it always felt kind of awkward introducing myself at meets. :)

And hilarious

"are you crazy? Can you give me a lift to the cemetery?"

"jump in"

ok ok didn't happen like that but nonetheless amusing B)

Edited by freakazoid
  • Like 5

I share my ( limited ) knowledge. 

I hope I enrich my environment.

I keep ( some/not many ) things for my self.

I feel moderately empowered.

Or perhaps, I try to enjoy empowerment in moderation

I share all the knowledge I can, in the hopes that some people will actually use that knowledge to do things for themselves.

In my generous spirit, it is great to see people doing things for themselves - this is something I find really rewarding myself, and it is great to be able to share that.

And in my mean spirits, I know that people don't always want to know, but hey, I don't always want to take time outta my day to work out how to fix their shit for them either. Forcing them to sit through the process with me hopefully educates them so they can do it themselves, but at the very least it bores the shit out of them and gives them an appreciation of the work that goes into it so that they're aware of that before they ask again. My heart leaps with joy every time I see a workmate get a computer problem now and fix it for themselves, since they learned that bringing it to me would get them a tutorial instead.

And if people want to hoard their knowledge so they get more attention, well, the reverse strategy works too - you can just flood them with things that only they know how to deal with until they break down & start training others.

• Like 5

On 3/1/2017 at 8:27 AM, DualWieldRake said:

Do you share all your knowledge and enrich your environment or keep things for yourself and stay empowered?

I'm a little confused. First, the assumption that one must keep things for yourself to stay empowered... does that really work? Is it a requirement of being empowered that you keep things to yourself? 

• Like 1

Empowerment is subjective, so you may not require privacy to feel empowered tho others might see privacy as a tactic to reach or maintain "empowerment"

I value transparency tho i could imagine senarios where transparency could be detrimental.

9 hours ago, bardo said:

Empowerment is subjective, so you may not require privacy to feel empowered tho others might see privacy as a tactic to reach or maintain "empowerment"

I value transparency tho i could imagine senarios where transparency could be detrimental.

Privacy is something totally different. I do love my privacy @bardo. One can be a recluse in the "real world" and still be an open book when it comes to sharing plant information in the "virtual world". It is always about degrees though as I doubt anyone shares everything with everyone. So, in that sense privacy is subjective just as what empowers us is subjective. 

Empower: make (someone) stronger and more confident, especially in controlling their life and claiming their rights.

For me, the fact that I have taught many people over the years how to grow, propagate, graft and hybridize everything from Brugmansia to Trichocereus has certainly made me feel more confident in my own abilities to teach as well as shown me some of my own faulty assumptions. Being able to share my knowledge has led to the founding of Brugmansia Growers International where I held one of the first officer slots and helped spread the love of hybridizing to a whole new generation and group of people. Many people don't know who I am anymore in regards to that group or how influential my open and honest sharing was in establishing a solid foundation for hybridizing efforts with Brugmansia. I of course was in turn influenced positively by other hybridizers willing to share their knowledge with me. Admittedly, when I first started out hybridizing I didn't know much. I made over 10k hybrid seedlings of which almost all turned out to be white during my first major hybridizing attempt as I had no instructor to tell me any secrets. I learned a very valuable lesson though. With Brugmansia never cross an orange to a pink unless you are willing to grow out a boat load of seeds for that rare seedling that will show both colors to some extent or another. It is far smarter to make a pink x pink cross or a yellow x yellow cross and then you will have a range of different shades of that same color. So, yeah... I like sharing information and I feel it not only empowers me, but it also empowers others to make faster gains or progress and that results in better plants for me to acquire without having to do the leg work. Many can always do more than the one can do. It is silly to think that it is any other way in my mind. It is by working together that we make the most progress. This is why many great hybridizers have a mentor or at the very least collaborative hybridizers. Someone they can ask questions and share trials and tribulations with. For me, it is a proud moment when the student becomes the teacher. 

• Like 3

Love, Communicate, Partake, Be. 

To exist is to grow as a part of the forest that connects our energies. One cannot exist in isolation.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2017 at 0:50 PM, Condor man said:

Love, Communicate, Partake, Be. 

To exist is to grow as a part of the forest that connects our energies. One cannot exist in isolation.

I'd say everything is relative. I'd also state that it has been my experience that something as simple as being with yourself and only yourself can be boring as all get and as close to a living hell as I care to be. Of course, I'm relating that to my experience on a traditional Lakota Oglala vision quest where one stands for 4 days without food, water, or sleep. Not that it was all hell, but enough portions of it are that one soon realizes that the best way to find internal peace is to simply be and let be. Stop fighting the internal dialogue and simply let it go. Much of it is so repetitive and boring at any rate. At least that is my reality. 

• Like 1