The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yawning Man

Fool proof Cacti

Hello gang

Long time no post. More of a creepy lurker these days :)

Can anyone suggest a species or type of cactus that is more or less fool proof? I'm asking as I want to make a doof cactus. A little plant that travels to doofs and leaves with a different owner. Hopefully to travel to the next doof alive and well to continue his journey. So I expect at some point it will go home with someone who has no idea. Something that will be happy to live in a small pot it's whole life and most likely survive periods of neglect. 

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

echinopsis. i also had a friend who kept a bridgessii in her van for a year. but the echinopis (i.e. oxygona) probably would even flower on the road.

• Like 1

when I was in year 7 we did a 4 week trip to Uluru, olgas, kings canyon, alice. we had an aloe plant in a pot lodged in the bulbar of the old mans 4wd, it didn't miss a beat.

Edited by godless
  • Like 3

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess the conditions for that aloe must have been perfect godless. I think i'll go with echinopsis. They're probably more identifiable as cactus. 

echinopsis subdenudata is hardy and also spineless... its a nice choice if you go with echinopsis.. 

I would chose some tricho seedling though, propably a peruvianus as they are slower growers or a penis plant... or pachanoi monstrosa altmans clone  - but maybe those might be stolen

• Like 1

I would have chosen a Trich except it would outgrow it's pot. Although I haven't considered a montrose which would probably be ok living in a smaller pot it's whole life.  

Having it stolen is a bit of a risk we run with something like this. The whole idea being a community building project where everyone identifies the plant as being a part of the scene that everyone looks after. There's always a dickhead that can ruin it. Hopefully not. Thanks again guys