The Corroboree
sillysyban

Bridge splinter in bone.

Hey all,

i just accidentally hit one of my Bridgesii with the back of my hand and copped a splinter that has gone into the bone of my knuckle and then broken off. I can see it moving under the skin when I open and close my hand. Hurts like F...k.

is this something that will dissolve by itself or will I need to get it cut out by a doc? Anyone done this or something similar?

...mate I hope its not the cliff that got ya.  If you can't pull it out yourself, go to the doctor. Little ones in soft tissue might not matter but because it is in a joint, it really needs to be taken out, even if its minor surgery. The sooner the better...nothing is gonna dissolve that fella and they often have a fair bit of bacteria on them.

To make you feel better.  I had them all laying on my floor, woke up on the night to take a piss.  Got too complacent coming back in and whammo, one snapped off way up in the ball of my foot.  The doc got it with some local anaesthetic and some tweezers.  Good times, its the price we pay.      

• Like 3

. woke up on the night to take a piss.     

one day, when you get old & decrepit like me, you may also discover one of the greatest pleasures in life is pissing in bed.  relax ur urinary spincter & let 'er flo!

• Like 2

It won't dissolve... the few spines I've had break under my skin would be a pain for about a week and then I could squeeze to remove or cut and pull with tweezers. Depending on how deep it has gone or how long it was I would go to the doc to not fuck up my hand by mutilating myself with a razor.

If you can see it moving it shouldn't be too hard cutting a layer of skin and pulling out with tweezers

• Like 1

one day, when you get old & decrepit like me, you may also discover one of the greatest pleasures in life is pissing in bed.  relax ur urinary spincter & let 'er flo!

Lol! I cant wait to wear pullups again.

The glories of incontinence aside, an important reason for going to the doc in this case is that if there is any spine left in the joint, it can cause alot of damage over time.  The doc will flush it and have a good look around to make sure.  If you do cut yourself to get the spine out, look at the end to see if it has broken off, even if its a 1mm piece it`ll damage cartilage if left inside...better to get it done properly.

• Like 2

Cheers for the advice guys. Both about the splinter and the joys of just lettin the urine flow :)

the spine poked a new exit hole out my skin this morning so i think it's out. It seems to be feeling better but still a bit sore but I think that is from trying to pick it out with a needle as well.

and yeah Mapacho it was from the cliff :)

she is a cruel mistress.

• Like 1

The same happened to Trout with one of his KK337s. If I remember correctly, he had to get surgery to have the thorn removed. 

• Like 1

i stepped on  a bridge log back in december, i tried to pull it out with tweezers but it was too deep an i ended up pushing it in deeper. it stayed in my foot for two months before it made its way to the surface and i could squeeze it out with a flood of blood and pus. i've been trying to walk on an open sore for the last two weeks but it's healing over now. point is they work their way to the surface eventually but i may take a while. if it gets too infected go to the doc

Bloody hell. Seems this is a dangerous hobby. I can see an extreme gardening reality tv show coming up. 

Two months is a fair while to be in there. 

• Like 3

done the same to my heftiest taquimbo , backhand,... in the knuckle too... about a year ago... v painful... didn't remove it

but have no trubs nowadays... maybe it's still in there then? 

ever dreamed you were pissing in a urinal and woke up with the shock of warmth and wet-th? 

ever taken a spine in the back or shoulder blade area? .. i wish I'd've had someone to pull it out but I think that one either fell out or dissolved too now...

ever taken a terscheckii spine to the forehead , iz no fun man...

• Like 3

i stepped on  a bridge log back in december, i tried to pull it out with tweezers but it was too deep an i ended up pushing it in deeper. it stayed in my foot for two months before it made its way to the surface and i could squeeze it out with a flood of blood and pus. i've been trying to walk on an open sore for the last two weeks but it's healing over now. point is they work their way to the surface eventually but i may take a while. if it gets too infected go to the doc

Jeez bro thats just cringeworthy.  You got a vendetta against modern medicine or are you just as hard as woodpecker lips?

done the same to my heftiest taquimbo , backhand,... in the knuckle too... about a year ago... v painful... didn't remove it

but have no trubs nowadays... maybe it's still in there then? 

ever dreamed you were pissing in a urinal and woke up with the shock of warmth and wet-th? 

ever taken a spine in the back or shoulder blade area? .. i wish I'd've had someone to pull it out but I think that one either fell out or dissolved too now...

ever taken a terscheckii spine to the forehead , iz no fun man...

Lol this is gold.  It's probably still there, fused with your DNA most likely.  Honestly I'd think they would eventually break  down after many years but its not quick.  I had a mate with a sore ankle and turned out he had a 5cm bit of wood floating around in there for about 2 and a half years after copping a stake through his boot. 

And no, but I did go 3 months monastically celibate and there was a dream about a red headed succubus with big titties in a demigod palace?

:lol: I'm all for more spinitation interaction sagas.

Edited by Mapacho
  • Like 3

maybe this body is just good at isolating things off with some padding?

i have glass in my knee since childhood, dr said it would work it's way out n lied I guess? 

its a lot worse than tricho spines i reckon but i totes love the idea of trichocereal dna fusion!

• Like 3

wow this thread is cringeworthy

I supposed I am lucky or careful, I only get smallish spines in my hands by handling them and not accidentally falling onto them... 

bridgesii spines indeed cause a lot of pain when stabbing you. not all spines do that... 

but I went to the doctor when young, becasue my foot was sore and it felt as if there was something in it... I was a fucking metalic needle, no idea how it got in... must have been there for weeks :P 

PS: terscheckii spine on the forehead, ouch!  if this thread had pics it would be a fucking splatter horror! 

• Like 3

Another spine story, is of my wife who used a pilosocereus to break her fall and ended up with a spine through the palm off her hand. You could feel the spike just under her skin on the other side. They knocked her out and after 2 hours of surgery it was removed. I wasn't real popular and there is no cactus at the back steps anymore!

• Like 5

if the skin closes over on a spike wound I usually just bite a hole in the skin with my teeth and allow it to come out, 9 times out of 10 you will get the spine out without visiting the doc. I have though been to the doc once for a wound on the tip of my index finger, there was no spine in there but it got infected and blew up really bad, I finally popped it one saturday night about 9pm, been drinking and im a total zero alcohol driver due to 2 drink drive incidents, so I had to call my folks to come and get me and take me to the doc 80km away. MUMMY! DADDY! come and save me, felt like I was 15 again.

ive still got the scars to this day on the quick of my finger,it will never heal properly

Edited by godless
  • Like 5

this recipee for stepping on sea-urchins works for cactus spines as well. 

you put olive oil and its supposed to soften and come out by it self... 

• Like 2

I love your name ^

What is more satisfying than dual-weilding in the garden?

Also I think your link requires some explaining.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

this recipee for stepping on sea-urchins works for cactus spines as well. 

you put olive oil and its supposed to soften and come out by it self... 

I like that one sagixsagi. I will try that one next time.

mine is all good now. I think I actually did more damage picking at it than the spine did itself.

• Like 2