The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sillysyban

Acuminata Care

Hi All,

I just acquired an Acacia Acuminata (narrow leaf) that is a few years old. It is currently in a pot  but has grown quite tall and skinny. I plan to put this in the ground but am wondering if it would be better to cut the top of the main trunk leaving the shoots below to grow so it grows stronger or leave it as is?

Any other advice on raising this to help it grow to a beautiful tree would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

IMG_0348.JPGIMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0348.thumb.JPG.bfbdbca2c60e3d51d0af81db2bafa3a7.JPG

IMG_0350.thumb.JPG.c5b9a00a5978a3030bf1ec27f7d51f45.JPG

IMG_0348.thumb.JPG.bfbdbca2c60e3d51d0af81db2bafa3a7.JPG

IMG_0350.thumb.JPG.c5b9a00a5978a3030bf1ec27f7d51f45.JPG

Edited by sillysyban

That doesn't look the best specimen to start with @sillysyban , I'd be tempted to source a healthier younger plant and plant it out in late winter to early spring.

Your location says south WA and from what I've seen when I was there much of Perth and the surrounding area is a big sandy basin, so if you're in or near Perth it will need a fair bit of TLC if you plant it in that type of soil now. Tree's do better when they are transplanted in cooler weather. When you get out of Perth some areas have really heavy clay and others have some really nice soil, so it will depend on where you are. I f it dries out before winter it will die & if stays too wet for too long it could die too.

It might surprise you though, if you can find a good spot for it and keep the water up to it, it might get its roots in and kick.

& yes I'd cut all that old sickly looking growth off it when I plant it out. Narrow phyllode acuminata can handle a fairly aggressive pruning if it's not done too often.

Thanks Sallubrious,

Much appreciated. I will give it a go and see if I can nurse her through. Do you think pruning it back now while still in the pot and then planting it come Autumn would be better?

Cheers.