The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
groovedude

Sassafras Albidum and Sarsparilla

Hey all.

I am seeking seeds or cuttings of the Sassafras Albidum and the Sarsparilla plants.

I have developed a taste for American root beer and decided I want to make my own, sassafras tastes great. I imagine occasional small uses of Sass would not be much of an issue in terms or carcinogenicity. Root bark is used in the beer, hence the name Root Beer.

Thankyou!

Hey, i've tried to grow it in the tropics and failed. If you're after sass, have you thought about piper auritum? it grows great in the tropics and has a high yield of safrol... I've never thought about brewing beer from it, but i image it'd be possible with a little tweaking to the recipe...

Hey there Mountain Goat, thanks for taking the time to help.

Thats unfortunate...I have seen Piper Auritum and wondered if it could be used. If it is the Safrole that adds the flavour I imagine it can be used.....in fact some say piper has uses in root beer.

That may be the way to go. 

I would still love to try S. Albidum or at least to have some seeds for my collection.

Thanks again Mountain Goat, and if anyone else may have some seeds of Sass or Sars, please let me know!

Also if anyone can help me with Piper Auritum I would be happy to pay $, I have little to trade currently.

Thanks

Groove