The Corroboree
TBG

Thick, Chunky Columnar Cacti?

Hi all,

Im currently planning out an ornamental cacti garden. I'm wanting to plant some nice big chunky column cacti. I already have a T.scop that I got from a member here. Can anyone make some suggestions of any other thick looking columns that are available in Australia.

I absolutely love the look of the Saguaro cactus but I'm not sure if they are available here and from what I hear they are extremely slow growing.

Any imput appreciated

Tbg

• Like 2

Ooooh yer !!!! That's the kinda plant I'm looking for.. Are they easy to come by??

Not really. If you come across one for sale then jump on it. Postage is pretty bad.

Pasacana is my fave, Sooooo beautiful.

Making the pilgrimage to both these places is a must for all Aussie cactus heads. Trichocereus validus is also a real stunner. 

Not sure what is happening at Fields cacti garden these days but there maybe some nice stuff still out there.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 4

Thanks Halcyon, 

Your right! Pasacana looks fantastic. I guess I'll have to do some searching.

As for the gardens I had no idea they existed, particularly Fields looks like an incredible place. You say your not sure what's happening down there anymore? We're they closing down or something? 

Tbg

Saguaros are ver slow growers and in our side of the world any decent sized specimen is way too expensive 

go with the tricho giants instead

Trichocereus pasacana

terscheckii 

and validus should be easier to find if you are an ozzie

than for the rest of us

Trichocereus taquimbalensis - tacaquirensis - these grow fat but pretty faster than terschecki - pasacana - validus

Look them up and especially the taquimbalensis wilkae with the curvy and very impressive spines

check this thread out

I also suggest several Ferocacti - they are cold hardy and eventually become very fat and relatively short columnars - the same is , f.e. with Astrophytum ornatum which is propably the most cold hardy Astrophytum. 

PS: I have a couple pasacas that have pupped from the base, contrary to what he says in the last video, but they came from a large lot of pasacanas I bought. So mine are either hybrids or the "pupping from the base at early age" is relatively uncommon but not unseen. 

Edited by sagiXsagi

tom juul's giant is super fat like a scop - bit fatter i'd say

bridgesii big bertha - super fat bridgeys are always necc'

werdermannianus will really float your boat

spineless terscheckii would be on my seek list if i was over in oz if thats where ya are

macrogonus/ macrogonis (depending where ya look in oz)

some v fat peruvianus clones in oz by the looks of things -rod and gawler are on ebay atm - if oz

defo 2nd the validus , taquimbo , terscheckii , pasacana ,  ....and poco is another hefty..

(all trichocereus) ummm.... some extra scops ! :)

all i can thnk of for now ... good luck hunting and happy planting!

-hoss

• Like 1

oh yeah , yowie! (pachanoi)

and grandiflorus too

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

Sooo many options.. Thanks for all the Imput, they all look awesome.  

Now just to find some.

tbg

• Like 1

Check all the Bunnings' in your local area, I've found several Terscheckii's there across the years.

found some pics while looking for one of escayachensis which is another fatty 

Terscheckii-hybrid-2.jpg spineless terscheckii hybrid i was on about before..

Lumberjack-Trichocereus-bridgesii-mispla check out this awesome fat bridgesii lumberjackus too !

• Like 1

I know i should be inspired (and I am), but if I am honest I find those videos of cactus country to be intimidating!

they make me want to do either of two things: (1) give up growing cactus or; (2) quit my job to grow cactus full time. neither of which i can do, or would probably be happy with entirely.

in this most unexpected way cactus force themselves philosophically into the trajectory of my practical life.

in reverse it testifies to the magnificent quality of 'having a cactus garden', which unfolds over time in quite the opposite way that life feels short of having it.

i don't think it's the same with vegetables: so the ancients were sustained by tomatoes at the same time cactus was teaching them the content of eternity; and what it amounted to 'in reality' was unimportant: the cactus survived.

all that you would really lack at that point is the ability to be cloned!

• Like 1